hypothyroidism

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi i have been on thyroxin for 9 years and have never felt good i am always 

tired even after a small amount of work. I wake up and feel as if i have a hangs over and this can last all day.I have contstant aches and pain in my arms and legs can anyone help please

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sorry to hear you are not feeling well.  You don't mention your age whether you have other health problems are on other medication.  What dose of leveothyroxine are you on and do your know your latest blood test results.  I would go back to your gp and tell them how you are feeling.  That said I know that many gps are not that interested or knowledgeable about this condition.  One thing I have not tried myself but is recommended by some on this forum is to take the thryoxine at night before bed.  Those that do say they feel much better.  I am sure you will find some posts backing this up.  I have been on thyroxine for over 20 years and was originally ok although I never really lost the weight I put on.  Now I have other health problems so it is hard to know if any symptoms I get are related to those or the thyroid.  It is a complex condition.  I feel you have to try and find out as much as you can about it.

Have you tried looking at Thyroid UK. Sorry I can't be of much help.  I am sure others here might offer some good advice.  It might be that you need an increase in your dose even if your blood tests are within range.  I am no expert but lots of patients out there are undertreated.  Good luck hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Yah I've heard levothyroxine at night Is good I'm an 18 year old male and I've been on levothyroxine for about 1 month now and its ok but still don't feel great yet hopefully I do soon , but you should talk to your doctor maybe levothyroxine is not for you
  • Posted

Ellen, I'm in the US and I know my ideas may not be very useful in the UK because your health system is different.  But I know that that kind of fatique is connected to bad treatment for hypothyroidism.  Also that sort of joint pain.  Please insist on better medical care.  This isn't easy if you have the brain fog that can go with under - or wrong treatment.    You should be feeling better than that if you have right treatment and diagnosis.  Good luck.
    • Posted

Ellen I'm from the U.S. to and well is there any advice I can have from from you like can you answer some question I have in mind ?
  • Posted

Have you had a blood test for excessive antibodies. If it's an antibody causing the thyroid problems the thyroid destroying one is called Hashimoto, which I also have. Trouble is there is now up to 80 confirmed and suspected antibodies that could also be causing you problems, if antibodies are your problem. Your thyroxine level may be OK and its rheumatoid arthritis, or possibly Sprue (celiac) that's causing an allergic reaction to the glutin in Levothyroxine, which would give the symptoms you are experiencing. A new book I am reading on Kindle, called Inflamation Nation, is worth a read. It is basically a diet that reduces inflammation messengers that we eat from our highly processed food, as the doctor writing the book states that 50% of Americans have autoimune problems and states that farmed Salmon and barn eggs are ruining our health.
  • Posted

ellen, I would suggest that you go back to your doctor for blood tests to see what is going on and to check that you are on the correct dose of levothyroxine and to go on from there.

It is good practice to have a thyroid function test at least every 12 months when stabilised and more often if you need to change your dose.

• Posted

Same here, been on thyroxine around 5 years, I am only 22 (23 next month) with no major health complaints other than hypothyroidsim, but my meds have never seemed to make me feel much better despite constantly raising it up with my doctors.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.