Hypothyroidism

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, Iv recently joined. My biggest frustration Is my doctors say my levels are normal but I still struggle everyday. Wouldn't be so bad if I could just take a nap, no easy with 2 children and work . Will I always feel tired?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello   Nichaela:

I am an RN -Nurse and live in the USA.  I suffer with Hashimoto's Thyroid Disease.  When you first start Thyroid replacement hormone it takes 6-8 weeks to build a level and after that time symptoms should reduce. 

In many of us, with thyroid disease we have low minerals in our body also. So I suggest you take a good Multi-vitamin with iron and Vit D,  everyday to see if you feel less tired.  It helps to have the proper levels of iron and B vitamins in order for LEVO or thyroid meds to work well. Also many women have low iron and it can make you tired easily. Also low Vit D, can make you feel tired and have aches in your muscles. 

Take your thyroid med at least 45 minutes prior to eating as food can block it's absorption. Take a multi-vitamin with food.

Now, even though your thyroid level is "normal" per blood work, you can ask your doctor for an increase in your med to see if it helps reduce the low symptoms.  I do not know if your doctor tested both T3 and T4 levels along with your TSH level.   Blood work is an indicator tool and the doctor should consider your symptoms also.  You can call your GP and explain this to him/her and see if they will change your dose up a bit.  Log your symptoms down and show the doctor.

I hope this helps, Shelly

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply, have been on levothyroxine for 5 years and am upto 125mcg, will definitely look into getting some vitamins
    • Posted

Shelly I am also from US and you and I have 2 things in comon (hypo and type 2 diabetes.) I do not have Hashimoto's. I wanted to ask about being hypo and having type 2. I'm having a awful time getting my blood sugar under control. It all started about 4 months after I was diagnosed with hypo and started to take levo 50mcg. I gained like 10 Ibs so fast and it was like my BS went crazy. Do you know if having these 2 issues together make it harder to control BS. They took away my pills and I am now on insulin pen and up to 50 units levemir. I can't get my BS below the low 200's. Endo keeps adjusting by 3 units every 3 days. Started at 10 ui. Any ideas??? I really think you have so much knowledge. I love reading your replys. I haven't changed anything in my life. I eat the same and very little excercise. I was always able to diet well when I would see my BS numbers go up. now I can't lose a pound since I started on Levo. I have had Hypo for 2 years. I went from A1C 6.2 annd now 9.3. Do you know of a good combination of type 2 dose. Sorry this is so long. I need some help. You"d think the Endo would know something.
  • Posted

Hi nichaela i have the same feel i need to sleep some times its within  an hour of getting up i have been on tabs for 9 years think i might take shellyci9 's advice and see if my doctor will p my dose to see if it helps hope you can find a way to feel better.
    • Posted

Il be calling my doctor tomorrow and asking if my t3 has been tested too, I don't know if this is a separate test. Find it hard to actually find a doctor that will try to help me get feeling better again. In the past 2 years Iv stopped smoking, I eat a very healthy and balanced diet and I have increased my exercise to at least 4 hours cardio a week. I'm still overweight, my legs ache so much and I get dizzy being so tired.
  • Posted

Really feel for you. I wasn't diagnosed until my menopause when the hormones change. It must be a struggle for you when you are so much younger. I'm going to give the multi vitamins a try as shellyC19 suggests. I will give anything a try. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.