hypothyroidism

Posted , 7 users are following.

I take 250 mcg thyroxine daily my last blood test shows no change in levels, very low was even asked by gp registrar if I was taking the tablets as he unable to understand why it's so low

What happens now? What cam I do to increase levels or where do I get referred to next

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

What are your levels? Post with ranges
    • Posted

I can't remember, the lowest they've been in 17 years all I can remember is the gp registrar saying was I taking the mess as he'd never seen levels so low in a patient that said they took 250 mcg daily !

• Posted

Hello Racheal:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hypothyroidism since 1987.

Please call your doctor's office and ask the medical asst or receptionist for a copy of your lab work.

By laws in many countries, you can get your lab and other medical records, so all you need to do is ask.

Some of us on the forum are used to lab reports and can understand the levels.

Maybe you are not converting T4 into T3.  I had that problem. We really need your labs, so call and some will e-mail it to you or fax it to you.

250 mcg is a large dose.  So please get your labs so we can figure what is going on.

Regards,

Shelly

• Posted

250mcgs is a colosal dose! Please post your levels with ranges. If your doc is not measuring  T3 he is flying blind. You might want to get reverse T3 in case everything is getting blocked at cell level - although that wouldn't affect your blood serum levels.
  • Posted

Another random thought. Are you sure it is 250 mcg and not 25mcg?
    • Posted

Its 250mcg ive been on 250 for over a year, levels go up then 3/28 they're down again but never been as low as this

Ive email gp reception to see if I can have a copy

I have never heard of them being as low I also have fibromyalgia and had a y en roux gastric bypass a year ago so don't know if its connected

• Posted

That sounds like a huge dose! It might be that it isn't converting the T3 hormone properly- you will need to request blood tests to confirm this (my GP doesn't test for thei unless I request it). There is a drug I have recently started taking in conjunction with levothryoxine called liothyronine (it's a T3 drug). This is expensive and may not be giving willingly, but worth a shot if that is the problem. If the doctor is still scratching his head, ask to be referred to an endocrinologist who may be able to shed some more light on it. (I only found out this was an option after eight years of being hypo). In my experience some GPs are really not well informed about thyroid issues and they aren't experts in everything, good luck! 
  • Posted

Also forgot to mention, you may be deficient in certain nutrients that affect the absorption of thyroxine into the body (Thyroid UK website is probably the best place to go for an extensive list). Get these tested too 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.