hypothyroidism and anxiety linked?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Does anyone with underactive thyroid suffer with anxiety? ever since bring diagnosed with thyroid I've suffered terribly with anxiety has anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, anxiety was one of the symptoms that made me go to the doctor when I was first diagnosed. It is a lot less of an issue since I've been on Levothyroxine. Maybe you are under medicated.

• Posted

Yes. Anxiety and depression both have been an issue here...don't know if it is related to thyroid or not. Work with your GP and seek a cousellor if possible.
  • Posted

My meds have been up and down abit over the last few months, but I feel riddled with anxiety, very tearful, emotions all over the place any worrying bout silly things x
  • Posted

I had anxiety and depression and so many other symptoms. I quit synthetic meds and now take natural dedicated thyroid. All my problems and issues resolved. Synthetic doesn't work for me, I'll never go back to it

• Posted

Yeah, I have issues with both depression and anxiety, I've definitely been worse since diagnosis, I still have issues with both despite being on thyroxine for 5ish years now.
  • Posted

Yes I had awful anxiety. I'd sit up all night panicking about the most stupid things. If I had a glass of wine the anxiety when it wore off was unbearable. I'm on 50mcg of levothyroxine but also take 50 mcg of sertraline for anxiety/depression. I've found the sertraline has helped.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.