Hypothyroidism and Bad Eyes

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with Hypothyroidism since last year and gone from 25mg of Levothyroxine to 75mg since seeing doctor this afternoon, my eyes are very dry and red and I get a Miky white filament coming from my eyes and gunk around them in the morning after sleeping, Anyone have this problem? And is due to Low Thyroid?

James

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have had similar problems and referred to Moorfield eye clinic where I was told I had Blepharitis and thyroid eye condition. Not improved since going on levothyroxine 100mg last year just been referred back as tear film keeps dropping down and making my vision blurred. Getting very frustrated.
  • Posted

I had something similar and washed my eyelids and eye line with baby shampoo this did help with things and now my medication is stablised I dont get this very often, you can get drops to help with dry eyes.
  • Posted

I have sjogren's syndrome in addition to Hashimoto's Thyroid disease.  I have DRY eyes.  I do not have any discharge or fluid around my eyes. It could be an infection of the eye.  Do you wear contacts?  Sometimes people get eye infections from them. Having low thyroid can make you more inclined to get ill and get infections. do not rub your eyes, wash your hands frequently.
    • Posted

Hi Shelly, thanks for your reply. No I don't wear contacts, always been meaning to but this is putting me off.

blepharitis is an infection within the eyelid and I have had courses of antibiotics but not cleared it, I avoid rubbing my eyes, dab with tissue and then put tissue in bin.

On course of treatment with heated eye pad and foam eye gel so see how that works out

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.