Hypothyroidism and Gluten

Posted , 5 users are following.

After years of symptoms I was diagnosed with Hashimotos (autoimmune reason for hypothyroidism or something). I have just started taking levothyroxine for this. 

I read online something about gluten adding to the damage. I was wondering if anyone felt cutting gluten was beneficial. I think I might have an intolerance anyway, as for years I've had unexplainable stomach problems, which the doctors eventually diagnosed as IBS as they didn't know any better.

Also, I have pernicious anaemia (another autoimmune disease- yay!). When I found out about the hypothyroidism I sighed as it was just another thing to add to the list, but the GP somewhat loosely said something about it all being linked? Has anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello Emdis:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse (RN) in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's since 1987.

Yes, I cut out gluten.  It helps a lot.  Now we know what it does to our bodies and how hard it is on us with autoimmune problems. You can buy items without gluten today in most major markets or health food stores.  It is a glue like substance made to bind food and it bothers the bowels and joints.

Pernicious Anemia is a low B-12 level.  Years ago they did  B-12 injections but they do have oral tablets today that can help.  I had it also.  Low B-12 makes you have low energy and fatigue.   It is linked to Hypothyroidism. 

Autoimmune means our immune systems are under attack, and we can have more medical problems than a person with just regular Hypo.  I take a good multi-vitamin with iron and Vit D because we do not make it from sunlight as well after age 30 or so.

Always take your LEVO without food, food will block it from receptor sites in the bowel.  Wait about 4 hours before taking any vitamins. Spacing is important.

I hope this helps, any questions just ask.

Shelly

• Posted

Hi

I have reduced my gluten intake and it massively helped my IBS symptoms but didn't see much difference in thyroid related fatigue symptoms unfortunately. Ive heard some people feel they have more energy after cutting it out so would say it's definitely worth a try

• Posted

Hi Emdis ,yes I was told it's all linked . I have had private bloods done which showed Elevated Peridoxase antibodies ,I had then a test done on NHS ,but these came back within range . I am now due to get a Thyroid scan ,as I have thickening one side of throat down into the dip ,one side only . When I had the thyroid done private. I had allergies ,that came back in as Wheat ,Barley ,Millet ,Milk ,Soya ,Harricot beans ,Nuts ,Egg Whites ,fruits and various veg . It was well worth paying private peace of mind wanting to have answers . NHS only give basic test ,Ive got gut feeling I've had Hashimotos for several years ,undiagnosed . Go get allergy testing done ,. 
    • Posted

Hi Marlene,could you tell me if your in UK if so would you know how i could go about getting tested privately,i really don't think Dr's at my practise have any idea what there talking about.I'm trying to get back to work as i have been off since December,my job is quite a lot of walking,lifting, bending,i fill shelfs in a large supermarket,after 3 hours i'm done,back cramps,knee's in pain can hardly walk.Just don't know what to do next such a long drawn out thing getting meds right,I have scan book for the 8th of June,and the Dr won't refer me to an Endo untill that is done,i believe waiting time will be about 3 months.Thanks in advance .
    • Posted

Donna, look on thyroiduk or tpauk and you'll find recommendations for laboratories that do blood testing for thyroid testing. As for allergy testing, I'll pm you the name of a very good practitioner near me.
    • Posted

Marlene, look up blastocystis hominis on the blastocystis research foundation website. It might be the reason for all your allergies and intolerances.
  • Posted

Yes, I am gluten and dairy intolerant. My IBS symptoms go away if I stick to a strict diet. In my case I have to exclude all carbohydrates and fruit as well as egg, soy, corn and nightshade vegetables. I didn't used to be allergic/intolerant to anything.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.