Hypothyroidism and hair loss

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I've had subclinical hypothyroidism for almost a year. Over that year I've noticed my hair has thinned a lot. I recently went back to the gp and they have started me on  levothyroxine. Although I have other symptoms of hypothyroidism it is the hair loss that bothers me the most, did anyone's hair improve once they started the medication? Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks in advance. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes.. mine definitely did.  When my TSH was off, my hair was literally falling out in clumps with every wash.  One time I dyed my hair and a handful of hair came out.  I was so scared and started crying.  I didn't dye my hair for 2 years after that.  Now that my TSH has hovered around 1.00 for a couple of years, my hair has improved so much.  I'm not scared to dye it anymore and when I wash it, there isn't clumps of hair in the shower drain.  The texture has improved greatly too.  It used to be very dry and frizzy and now it looks silky and full.  Now.. my hair did not improve overnight, it takes time.  I would say start taking a good supplement such as biotin to help speed things up.

• Posted

Thanks that's good to hear, I bought some biotin but was worried it might mean the levothyroxine didn't work. Should I just leave a gap between taking them?

• Posted

Yes, leave at least a 4 hour gap between the two, as most vitamin and supplements can lower the absorption of levothyroxine.   Best wishes...
  • Posted

Yeah, my hair started growing back when I went off the levo. Just sayin'. The levo actually worsened my hypo thyroid symptoms.

• Posted

Were you able to find out why that was? Was it because then your levels went too high? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.