hypothyroidism and iodine

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, 

any information or adive would be greatly appreciated.

I have had hypothyroidism for 2 years now and am on 75mg of levothyroxine. i am a 22 year old female and while im still young, hoping to find a way to make this all better or even come off medication.

I have recently become gluten free which i have been told is better for the thyroid. I have now been researching getting carried away about iodine deficiency. There are a lot of websites that say this is one of the causes for hypothyroidism, is this true?! and if so why has my doctor never mentioned this or even tested me. 

Any advce on hypothyroidism and iodine link would be amazing!

Thanks in advance.

Danielle

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Danielle, iodine is a possible factor, but one of many. Certainly worth looking into. Try to get referred to see an endocrinologist.  If the meds are working for you then don't obsess about getting off them, for most of us it's a lifetime thing.

good luck!

• Posted

Hi danielleb94 ive been on 75 mg levthyroxine for about 4 months now for an underactive thyroid and not had any problems my thyroid level is almost down to normal
  • Posted

Hypothyroidism caused by iodine deficiency is rare in developed countries, as they put iodine in our salt for this purpose. But.. it's not unheard of.  The only way to know for sure is to get tested.  The MOST common cause of hypothyroidism in developed countries is caused by Hashimoto's  which is an autoimmune disease in which your body see's your thyroid as an invader and attacks it until it is destroyed.  If you have Hashimotos.. then iodine treatment can actually make you feel even worse.  I know.. because I did it a while back, not knowing what I know now.  I would suggest to get your antibodies test through your doctor for TGab and TPO antibodies.  If either one of these is positive, then you have Hashimoto's..  Please get tested before you try to experiment with your body.  You really can make yourself feel worse.   If your doctor won't test you.. get a new one.  You need a doctor who will listen and treat your symptoms.  Best wishes!

• Posted

Danielle, yes, iodine is important for thyroid health. A natural source, such as kelp is best. Also, tyrosine us very important, as well as boron and calcium.
  • Posted

Although iodine is added to salt in some countries it is not in sufficient quantities to make any real difference. I was diagnosed in April. My dose of levo was originally 125 mcg. After 3 months it was reduced to 100mcg.

My endocrinologist also put me on D3 and Syrel. I decided to take iodine supplements myself and I take in the form of sea-kelp capsules. I also take Vit c with zinc; calcium and magnesium combined; Vit B complex.

My hair has dramatically improved, my nails are no longer brittle and have started to grow again and my dry and cracked skin is almost back to normal. I no longer have pins and needles and my restless legs at night are 75% better - much to my husband's relief!

I think you have to see what works for you as we are all different.

I hooe this helps. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.