Hypothyroidism and joint pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I've suffered with underactive thyroid for years and suffering with joint pain mostly in fingers wrist hands but also in feet and hips.

Is this relayed to hypothyroidism? I was given a blood test for arthritis a few years back but it came back negative (I was also told these tests are unreliable).

Any ideas on the cause of the pain? And what's best to treat it with? I find painkillers don't really work and was hoping for more of a long term fix

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Had terrible hand and finger pain for years...then had kenalog shots in both hands (3months apart) ...few days later PRESTO all pains in hands and fingers disappeared and has basically stayed that way. I felt great...even minor body aches were zapped. Never felt so painfree in decades. Of course there are downsides to kenalog shots but I had none just felt great.

• Posted

Just make sure you really read up on it. And if you get flu vacs get it before. Your immune system may take a dive for awhilet but I didnt get any flu or colds that were going on at the time. But I felt great and energetic. I don't know if it did any harm to me. So you really have to read up. I didnt know I was going to get any kenalog shot at my first appt for my hands. And it was painful and burning when they injected it. But the pain that kept me up at night while trying to sleep was zapped.

• Posted

Hi - I also suffer joint pain especially in my fingers and now have swollen joints. I have been hypothyroid for 30 years and lots of others seem to suffer from this too. I don't take pain killers either or I would just give myself other health problems, I try and stick to herbal remedies, nothing will cure it, you just need to find something that let's you live with it. This thyroid condition affects more than we think and Levo on it's own doesn't give you a fully functioning body as we were before diagnosis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.