Hypothyroidism and night shifts

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey,

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in March of this year and work a mixture of day and waking night shifts, now I undertsnad that after only 3 month of treatment I am not going to be magically better. However I have found that I fell the symptoms more on the days after my nights shifts even when taking the medication as advised.

I was wondering if the night shifts could be affecting my treatment and if anyone has ever been advised about working nights when suffering with hypothyroidism as I am unable to get any form of advice from my own GP.

Any advice or places to look for information is greatly welcome

Thanks

Lucy x

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have not had to work night shifts but I do know that a couple of months is unlikely make you 100% better, and after being able to respond during your work time it quite lilkely that you find you dip down when more relaxed.  Give it a bit more time would be my advice. I had hypothyroid problems for years before getting the right level of medication, and my son was diagnosed last year and it took him a good 6-8 months before he felt fully better.  Also I think that most of us will continue to have not such good days as the thyroxine is given in a steady dose and our needs for energy vary, I still have days when I feel a bit wiped and may have to resort to bed or doing nothing. I am 73 tho so I don't have the pressure of work.  All the best.  Maggie
  • Posted

I do know that I am not going to be 100% better already, however I know how I am reacting to it and I know that after my nights shifts when I have not had any sleep for 24-36 hours I feel like I did before I was diagnosed.
  • Posted

Dear Lucy,

The dosage and timing of medication are designed for people with normal sleep/wake routine and based on the findings that thyroid hormones are also following a certain circadian (daily) pattern. They peak and fall during a 24hour peroid. Thyroid medication is thought to mimick that pattern. However, it is a well-established fact that people working night shifts as yourself, have a different or disturbed circadian rhythm as opposed to ghe rest of us. It seems to me that timing, and maybe dosage of your medication needs to be adjusted for your "working"nights, so that your body receives the hormones when it needs them. A good knowledgeable endocrinologist should be able to work it out for you.

All the best!

Jen

• Posted

I agree that if you are working night shifts taking your medication at a different time might help but I stick by what I said earlier that you need to get referred to a consultant and since you have other issues these will have to be taken into consideration. I know a couple of people with bipolar problems who have been successfully treated with thyroxine and have been well treated for both over many years.Maggie
  • Posted

Hey, thanks jen, however I don't only work nights, so altering the times may not help, as each week i do a waking night monday night and then work day shifts wednesday-sunday, then do my night again on the monday, hence why I am unsure, however can request work to stop giving me the night shifts if this would help.

mvwaugh, I do not have any other issues regarding my health so am unsure as to where you got that from, the only issue i needed help with was the night shifts

• Posted

Hi lucy I do shift work never the same days in a week usually 24 hours with a sleep, however i never sleep. We also do day shifts.  Im at work more than at home these days.   I suffer greatly after my long shifts which a do usually 4 a week.  My GP recomended swimming for my aches and this has worked well and suffer about 1 bad day a fortnight now which used to be daily.  On a bad day I crash after my long shifts and even unable to do simple tasks.  Im wondering if my work is having an effect on me as well as my carrying a couple of extra stone to what Im used to.  I also think Lev is responsible for my weight gain.   Ive been on Lev for 5 years now and feel worse now than before diagnosis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.