Hypothyroidism and occasional low body temp

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been taking Levothyroxine for several years now, but occasionally I still deal with low body temperature and trying to stay warm, is this common for most hypo patients taking medication?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Not unusual. Have you had a blood test lately? Other symptoms?
  • Posted

I did recently have a blood test and my results came back fine with the dosage and medication I'm on. Within the last week I feel like I'm unable to tolerate the cold more than usual, and when taking my temperature It was pretty low. I wasn't sure if it is something that is normal with medication that is supposed to be working. 

• Posted

when i was first diagnosed  with underactive thyroid, i was always cold. Especially my feet. When the dose became correct for me   i felt warmer. in fact i never wear socks or anything else on my feet even in the coldest  weather, just shoes or boots because my feet are always warm. However  if I fall asleep on the sofa for an hur or so, I wake up very cold. As well as that i go to the gym almost every day ( rower and bike          50 mins ) i leave there and my hands are always   cold.  Sometimes i feel a bit chilly at home even with the heating on. I would suggest you do get a nw test and see if the a mount of thyroxine you are  on is still correct for you
  • Posted

Hello Taw, many people find they do better if they increase their dose in the winter time and lower it back down as the weather warms up. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.