Hypothyroidism and poor dental hygiene

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey everyone, so I have been diagnosed with hypo for 2 years and have been taking 50mg of thyroxine for 1 year. Ever since I was a kid I've had okay to good dental health. And for the last 3 years I've been getting a check up every 6 months. My teeth are deteriorating and I'm getting holes and rotting teeth everywhere. The dentist kept telling me that I eat too much sugar. But I rarely have sweets or packaged foods. Dentist has also told me that I will need to start getting teeth pulled out shortly. I brush morning and night and floss every second night. 21 years old and don't want this to ruin my life. Has anyone else has dental dramas? What have you done?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I was only diagnosed a few weeks ago so can't really say.  I hope it doesn't as I am very fussy about my teeth too!!  I haven't seen anyone mention anything about this topic.  I do know in pregnancy, my teeth needed serious looking after as the baby takes all the calcium.  Have you had your calcium checked?
    • Posted

Thank you for reply. But I believe at this stage my calcium levels are fine.
  • Posted

Hello Tori

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's Thyroid disease since 1987.

I was also diagnosed with Sjorgens Syndrome and part of this syndrome which thyroid people can get, is it causes a lowering of your saliva amount.  Certain amounts of saliva can be off and it makes a difference in your teeth and you can get cavities from that alone. They have a blood test for it and a saliva test also.  Hypo can cause gums to bleed easy also. 

I see a dentist every 6 months.  Rinse your mouth after food.  If you can brush your teeth at least 2 times a day.  My Dentist has charted my gum health and you can help it along by using a plaque fighting rinse.

Also make sure your blood glucose level is okay, people with high blood glucose can have more cavities also.

I hope this helps,

Shelly

• Posted

Wow, I've never heard of it and just looked into it. It makes sense, I've had dry eyes as for a few years too and just pretty much dry everywhere, combined with hormonal acne. I will put this forward to my doctor when I see them next. I feel like I've been whinging to them about every part of my body though sad
    • Posted

Hello Tori:

it is a syndrome by a Swedish doctor who discovered it.  Yes, it causes dry skin and everything gets dry, eyes, vagina, skin etc....  It can change your saliva just enough to cause dental problems.

I was shocked when I was told I had it.  My sister is dental assistant and most dentists know about it as it makes us have cavities and gum problems.

Look into being tested for it.

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.