Hypothyroidism and tingling

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone smile I would like to know if anyone else is experiencing this too. I'm having tingling in feet, legs, hands and arms. Random swelling in different places. Sometimes arms, chest, sometimes face. Pain at the base of thumb

Weakness upper arms and thighs. Strange feeling in tongue. Twitchy ties. Blurry vision. Loose bowels and many other storms as well. Info not have vitamin d defieciency, b12 deficiency or any other deficiency that were aware of. My tsh is 3.101 now. Does this sound like hypothyroidism or something more sinister?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sounds a lot like calcium deficiency to me.  The tingling especially is a symptom frequently experienced with calcium deficiency.  A quick way to test that would be to take a handful of calcium with vit D tablets and see if the symptoms ease.

I get calcium deficiency sometimes since I had a parathyroid adenoma removed.  Underactive parathyroids, which is a rare thing, cause calcium deficiency but I don't know if other things also do.

My remaining parathyroids can be slow to turn on, causing low calcium in my body at times, because they were off for at least 7 years while my malfunctioning parathyroid was pouring hormones into me telling my bones to release calcium.  The functioning ones stayed off because the calcium levels were already too high.

• Posted

I'm wondering whether this is hypoparathyroidism as opposed to hypothyroidism. Do you have recent calcium(Ca), and parathyroid hormone (PTH) test results? Have you had an operation to remove parathyroid adenomas? Hyperparathyroidism and hypoparathyroidism are not common conditions and it's likely that your GP has not considered them.

Low Ca can cause the symptoms you're describing, but then again the symptoms could also be attributed to any number of neurological conditions from a trapped nerve right through to some of the more common neurological conditions. Lumps can be a separate issue and need to be checked out immediately wherever they are, but especially if they are under your arms, round your neck and in groin. Lumps in those areas qualify as an emergency - phone your local surgery and book an emergency appointment for today.

If it were hypoparathyroid you'd expect your Ca to be pretty low - and that's definitely worth talking through with GP and requesting PTH level test

at the same time..

Finally, if your GP agrees that to test for PTH she should also request calcium and Vit d to be testydfrom the same blood sample and it's important they arrive at the lab within the hour. So find out when your GP's bloods are collected and book an appointment f

• Posted

Oops - sorry about that - re

PTH, Ca and Vit d tests - always book the last appointment just before the bloods are collected Ca and PTH tests are slow so expect an answer in 4-7 days.

Good luck

• Posted

Never had that symptoms. The best solution is I guess talking to your doctor to follow up with test.
  • Posted

I had awful tingling and numbness in my fingers and toes before I was diagnosed with Graves' disease and Thyrotoxicosis 

dont know if this helps any.....

• Posted

Also, indicative of calcium problems, as a misfiring Thyroid can be directed to dump out the calcium store in bones.....nasty side affect huh?!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.