Hypothyroidism and weight gain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

i was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in January of this year. After I had put on 25 pounds by December 2014. My doctor had asked me to test for it earlier, but being stubborn, I didn't. I am now on thyroxin,  it my weight refuses to budge. I feel horrible because I have never been this overweight and I really don't know what to do. Need motivation and advice from anyone going through something similar. Am willing to listen and follow whatever I need to, to lose the weight. Help!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi, sorry to hear about you weight gain.  I think it is very difficult to loose when once put on.  I gained at least the same amount and dependant on your age, if you have been diagnosed round the menopause when our metabolism slows it makes it even harder.  That was the case with me.  However it is possible I am sure, I lost about a stone a year ago and I am in my 70s and can't exercise as much as I once did.  Snacking and eating sweets was my downfall but being careful with portion sizes and not eating a lot of carbohydrate food like potatos and bread made a big difference.  I am still a couple of stone heavier than I was in my 40s but I had the added excuse haha!! that I ran a small B/B business and made evening meals, so food preparation and eating was always in my face as it were.  Good luck.  You will probably not feel so compelled to snack if you are correctly medicated though. Maggie 
    • Posted

Thanks for replying. I'm in my early forties. I hope the medicine works, as I hate being so overweight. Working out also seems more difficult and I get out of breath much faster
  • Posted

Hi I too am in the same position and need the same advice. I was diagnosed at the beginning of 2014 and a year and a half later I am still carrying the weight that I put on from developing hashimotos. Would love to lose a stone or two! I eat quite healthily and am on the go and have tried exercise but nothing changed! My levels are normal! 
  • Posted

Hi Zoyaa

I was diagnosed with an overactive thyroid 5 years ago. Its been a real rollercoster, years of medication the last year I had RAI treatment and to was put on tyroxine. To cut a very long story short I went from.overactive to underactive gained 7 stone became depressed got fibromalygia and thought there was no light at the end of the tunnel , there is. Find your self a good consultant (which I did) Now my medication is sorted and my levels are back in normal range. I started the the 5,2 diet in January used a treadmill and have lost 3 stone. Feeling a lot better and more like myself than have I a long time . There is light at the end try it and see, wish you the best of luck dont give in .

Denise

• Posted

Hi Denise, good to hear that you are doing well. I was told about the 5:2 diet but never really figured out what it was. Even the internet didn't give me a lot on it. Would be great if you could tell me the details, and I'll start it ASAP.

thanks also for telling me not to give in as I feel miserable and stop doing any workout for long periods of time. It's lovely to get motivation at a time like this. 

• Posted

Hi Zoyaa 

Sorry for the delay on my response. The 5/2 diet is quite easy you basically have 500 calories for two days then eat normal intake for other 5 although I don't have 2000 I keep it to 1800 a day. I also have a tread mill which I use everynight just 30 mins. I do love to walk though ,although I have fibromalgia as well and sometimes it's hard cause of the pain,but you have to have astrong mind and don't give up.   Regarding the 5/2 if you have an iPad you can download it for it or amazon have books. If you need any more help let me know chin up you can do it .

• Posted

AS Mvwaugh (well allmost smile biggrin I also agree, you need to change your diet, just change it,,,, generally we all slow down, age makes you, its either that or look like many that are in and out of supermarkets. It aint easy but its one you need to win sufficiently. Go on,,,,,, you know it makes sense! I am doing just that and winning.

• Posted

I have started to change the way I eat, but it's a task. I'm really making an effort. Will have to do more
  • Posted

I am responding because I am in a predicament. I have been diagnosed with sub clinical hyperthyroidism. Low tsh, normal T3 and T4 TPOA are less than 33.

I understand that this is a seperate entity to hypo and/or hyperthyroidism. Can anyone throw any light onto  this such as approrpriate management and treatment please. Many thanks

Jean

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.