Hypothyroidism, Belly/Abdomen Bloating but no weight gain

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello! I've been diagnosed with hypothyroidism since 8 years ago. I stopped taking my meds which is thyrax/euthyrox 25mg since a couple of years ago and been taking alternative meds.

I've been losing weight because of stress my work poses and since the year started, my abdomen started bloating as well. It started down from my abdomen and now reaching my belly and tummy just below my breasts. I look like I'm pregnant or with tapeworms. I tried going to the gym to tone down my body but it's quite strenous. 

I don't want to take synthetic medicine since I never really got better taking it for years and only been feeling weak.

Any suggestion/help for me to do? sad

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

What are your latest blood results? Bloating can be a sign of other things being wrong, not just hypothyroidism. There are loads of different things it could be. I would visit your GP and explain your problems. You may need your digestive tract investigating.
    • Posted

Hello there. Thanks for your recommendation smile I'll check out with my doctor soon.

• Posted

Please go and get it checked out with your doc. This may not be anything to do with thyroid. For the onset of something new that doesn't go away, always get it checked out 

• Posted

Hi Pink, my suggestion is to see your physician. The sudden bloat could or could not be related to your hypothyroidism and stress. I think you need to rule out anything even more serious (which is probably unlikely- better safe than sorry!).

• Posted

Hello there. Thanks for your recommendation smile I'll check out with my doctor soon. I'll try better diet and lifestyle too.

• Posted

Hi

I am under active thyroid and i take 50 of the thyroxine daily i was bloating around the stomach area and looked heavily pregnant plus i was getting really bad heart burn and my stomach ached all day every day i have switched to a gluten free diet it has only been 4 days but i do feel better and my bloating has all but disappered as has the heart burn i told my doctor i had gone gluten free and he seemed to dimiss the fact that my bloating has gone but i do feel better in myself my stomach is now flat and even people around me have noticed i look better hope this helps

• Posted

I did some research on gluten-free diet as I've never really paid much attention to this before. As an Asian, I found out I was having a gluten free meal (white rice+fresh fish/meat/veggies) already, however, I have still consume gluten rich foods when eating out etc. I'll try this first before going to my doctor. I have to bear this in mind when eating out. 

Thank you so much! biggrin

• Posted

I am very new to all this. I spend a lot of time on the anxiety forum where I first got the help I needed to cope, and now am able to help others.

I have been recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism...about a month ago. Since my thyroid was so under active, my pituitary gland started telling my thyroid to make more, and more, so at first I thought it was over active. My doctor understood all of the report from the blood test and told me what was happening. He said to get my pituitary to stop sending the message to produce more we needed to get my thyroid numbers up with medication.

He and my pharmacist said it would take three to six weeks for this to happen. I am now starting week three. No side effects with meds at all. (levothyroxine). Something that bothered me a lot was the exact abdominal bloating exactly as you described. My doctor, and my research say that when my thyroid is balanced and at normal numbers, the bloating will go away.

I also read on what foods provoke abdominal bloating, and eat accordingly. The bloating stopped getting worse. i also find that when I eat small amounts of food and eat more often, rather than large meal sized portions, my abdomen doesn't get that awful stretched, sometimes painful feel.

Even with water, I drink a few ounces, often rather that whole glasses. I am doing okay following this way of eating and drinking.

Like I said, I am brand new at this, and only know what my doctor (whom I trust implicitly) explained to me, and what works for me to be comfortable until my thyroid meds get me to "normal."

I sure hope this helps some, Pinku. Sending you a big hug, and hopes that this helps a little.

• Posted

Pinku,

I also wondered if part of the new way I was eating had to do with gluten. I asked for and got a blood test. The results just came in today. I am not gluten sensitive, and do not have celiac disease, which is involved with gluten problems.

You might want to get the blood test to find out for sure if you need to cut out gluten...which can be in more foods than you can imagine. I heaved a sigh of relief when I got the news that I was not sensitive.

Again, I hope this helps.

• Posted

Thanks Cia. I haven't kept track of my numbers since I just got depressed knowing my hypothyroidism requires a lifetime medication. I completely stopped Levo and going to my endocrinologist. But I've decided that I think I needed to come back to my doctor and be more positive with this medication I have. 

Thanks again. Hopefully it will be better tomorrow smile

I haven't had tests for gluten but I'm trying to have a gluten-free diet. It doesn't have much effect on my meal tho cos being Asian, my meal is mostly gluten-free. I do have some observations with the amount I'm taking. I'm trying to minimize my food and water intake without compromising my health. I used to eat much, despite my slim physique. Eating more and drinking more water, just like you said, causes more bloating. hehe Even drinking cold drinks, soda and such causes a huge lump. 

While reading articles about bloating and such case as this, I've somewhat found out that there's no exact cure.

I guess we'll just have to stick with a healthy diet, exercise and more warm/hot natural tea/coffee, and a regular visit to your physician.

• Posted

Sugar, as well as salt can add to the bloating, so watch the sodas. A wonderful tea for relaxing, as well as addng minerals and some vitamins is chamomile...from the flowers.

I do agree with less food at a sitting, but please eat more often...to stay healthy. You wound like a wise and lovely person. Take good care of yourself, Pinku

From what I understand, some of the bloat is water. Caffeine can provoke more urination. I only have one cup in the morning.

• Posted

Yes, I agree with the water that causes bloating. It's actually, I think, the major cause of my bloating. I try to still drink 4-8 glasses a day, but I don't drink caffeineted coffee/tea, just some ginger power or sometimes red ginseng tea. smile

• Posted

It's good that you are drinking enough water. Remember to drink it in smaller amounts throughout the day.wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.