Hypothyroidism blood test question?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, so I was diagnosed with an under active thyroid about a month ago, i started taking levothyroxine(100mcg) tablets. When i started taking the tablets i was told to book a follow up appointment in 6 weeks time for a blood test, but i was only prescribed enough tablets for 28 days, so i will have finished the tablets in 3 days time (2nd) but the blood test wont be till the 15th.

So my question is, is there meant to be a gap in medication or did the dr make a mistake in when to book the blood test? kinda new to this!

Thankyou in advance smile

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I don't think your doctor meant you to have a break in the medication and 6 weeks sounds reasonable for a check to see if it was doing any good. Levothyroxine is a continuous treatment and takes a while to get in the sysytem, so I am pretty sure that he would have assumed that you would put in for a repeat prescription as you were nearing the end of your pack.

However,it would have been helpful if he had made his thinking clear.

I would ring the surgery and check.

• Posted

The prescription i was given wasnt a repeat prescription, on the prescription it did only say one box, nothing about refills.
  • Posted

Yes, but I think he would still have meant you to ask for more when it was finished.... a phone call to the surgery will clarify what he did intend.

Better that than to take a break in the medication and have to start again to get it into your system.

• Posted

Ok, thanks for your help smile
  • Posted

Good luck. Let us know what they say..... I would ask today if you can so you can pick up a prescription ready to continue when you run out.
  • Posted

Please remember NOT to take meds 24 hours before blood tests, BT's only measure whats going round in your blood stream, NOT whether it is working or not!!
  • Posted

Whaaat? I was never told to stop taking it before a blood test. Are you sure that's right?
  • Posted

Another Whaaat! Neither have I! And I've been on meds for nearly twenty years!

But of course... Why the hell am I surprised! Never been given ANY info advice from my quacks. They just sign the repeat prescriptions and insist I go in for a blood test once a year, are NEVER able to answer questions, (burbling,...It's all rather complicated, hard to explain etc etc) and refusing to put my meds up!

Am SOOOOO fed up of the abysmal NONE treatment we receive!!!!

Sorry, this has caught me at a frustrated time.

• Posted

I have asked about not taking meds before a blood test and have always been told to carry on as normal - the results take into account what you are taking.
  • Posted

@Pippa, yeah ive been reading on here and alot of people are saying it was hard to get diagnosed & doctors don't take them seriously. I have a good experience with mine though, was diagnosed straight away & didn't even go there for thyroid, i went there for something completely unrelated (didn't even know what thyroid was haha) And they have always been helpful in answering questions-guess i just got lucky smile
  • Posted

Ignore what the GP says, they haven't a clue!! I stick to what I said, I NEVER take meds 24 hours before a blood test!!
  • Posted

To disagree, for 21 years I have always taken my thyroxine as normal on the day of a test and have never had any issues. I have had many regular tests during that time as you can imagine.

I consider my condition to be well balanced and well controlled. My GP assesses the situation, like she should, by looking at the results and listening to how I feel.

It is very dangerous advice to give to someone to ignore their GP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.