Hypothyroidism? GP visit...

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone.

I'm 23 years old and for the past 18-24 months I'm always tired, feeling very low and my sex drive has disappeared also I’ve been piling on the pounds (3 stone) and struggling to lose it.

After many attempts to lose weight and get my mood up i was advised to visit the doctors. I had a appointment this morning, i was pretty anxious about going as I really don't like opening up to people.

I explain all my symptoms to the doctors and asked if my thyroid could be check as two years ago I was checked but the results came back as "normal". She asked me a series of questions, weighed and examined me and put me in for some blood tests. I was very impressed by the doctor’s attitude; there was no explanation of what my symptoms were caused by. All I got was a lecture on diet and exercise and that GP's don't hand out weight loss medication willy nilly! I wasn't there for my weight alone but she obviously didn't listen!

Anyway my bloods should be back in two weeks time...is anyone in the same position as me? Also does anyone have any advise for when I get my results?

S

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi - I've been through this problem! It does sound like you have hypothyroidism. I was tested several times for thryoid function, and was told that I was at "the low end of normal" (which is considered too low in other countries!).

I was unhappy with that and persisted with my GP who referred me to a consultant. He confirmed that it was hypothyroidism and I was put on to thyroxine. The best thing to do is to be firm and persistant with the GP, eventually they will listen and will stop focussing on one small symptom. I hope it all works out for you.

• Posted

Hi,

Your doctor should have explained hypothyroid is a simple check on your TSH level.. There is no explaining or debating.

If your blood shows high TSH then you need levo.. Ask for the numbers and you can see for yourself. Current best targets are between 0.35 to 3.0 TSH (preferably at the lower end of the scale)

If not - thyroxine will not help you

Hope this all works out for you

• Posted

Thank you very much Kecki and Alan...i will be getting my results back on Friday so hopefully i'll get answer than. I'll keep you posted.

Thank you again.

• Posted

I've had my blood results back...my TSH level in 3.75 but they didn't test my T3 or T4. Is my TSH high? The doctor told me it was normal.

I've been put on anti-depressants to help my mood and told to go back in 4 week. However I'm moving away in 3 weeks time, would you advise on getting my bloods checked again at a new surgery?

S

• Posted

Your TSH is normal. The TSH is a very good test to understand your thyroid levels. Most ranges are 0-4.5 and only when way over 4.5 do they start to treat, those with hypothyroidism need to be medicated to get them to the lower part of the reference range, but for people with out hypothyroidism, 3.75 should be fine. At the end of the day though you are still not feeling well, and should persist with your doctor to see what else is causing it, there are lots of other conditions that can cause malaise. Even Vit D deficiency (which is very common) can cause similar symptoms. Just remember your GP is there to help you, but you do sometimes need to persist, although putting you on anti depressants may not be everybodys answer, it may be the right one for you. Hope you get it sorted soon, and start to feel better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.