Hypothyroidism? help!?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I went to the doctor with a bad throat ache, around my thyroid. She sent me for a thyroid function blood test. My tsh levels are a bit high (4.9) but my FT4 levels are in the normal range. Despite this I still feel symptomatic. I still have pain in that area, I have gained weight despite transferring to a much better diet, I am tired all the time , and I bruise very easily (not sure if this is related). So do you think I have hypothyroidism? I don't think the doctor will feel like treatment is nessicary, is it?

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

What dr's usually do is to do another test after at least one month has passed to verify there is a thyroid problem. I'm sure that there will be ppl better equipped to answer you properly (regards what kinds of tests to ask for) but its important to have a dr that will consider your symptoms and not only go by the test results.
  • Posted

Hello Akaellie:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse RN in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease since 1987.

Symptoms of Hypo are, feels cold, gains weight, feels tired, sleepy despite rest, bruising easily, low body temp, low pulse, headaches, muscle aches, constipation, depression feelings, dry skin and brittle nails and hari loss.  These are common ones and there are more.

Normal TSH is between 0.45 to 4.50 and doctors like 2 blood tests in a 6 month period that are abnormal.  You may ask your trial of Levothyroxine 25mcg per NICE guidelines if in the UK.

I am in the USA, and they would put you on the medication to see if your TSH will come down.  It should take 6 to 12 weeks to see bad symptoms change.

Ask for an Ultrasound of the thyroid.  Many of us can have small nodules and the scan will pick that up.  Nodules can make the thyroid go haywire.   You need to have a good GP or Endo to get this done.  They can order this test for you.

FreeT4 is okay you say, and that is good news but it may not stay good if your TSH goes higher.  Right now you are what they call borderline. 

Thyroid disease hits during ages 20 to 45 and also after pregnancy and later in menopause years.  It hits women more than men.  It can be a family trait or from a nasty virus called Epstein-Barr (EBV).  It is treatable but not cureable.  the medication is for life.

I would log my symptoms and explain to the doctor and ask for a trial of Levo.  Please keep us updated on your progress.

Any questions just ask,

Shelly

• Posted

Hi Shelly

I wondered if u would be kind enough to give me some advice. I was diagnosed 20 years ago with an underactive thyroid recently I have had hypo symptoms fatugue hair loss etc etc. My levo has recently been upped from 150mg to 175 my recent blood tests are tsh 0.4 t4 22.4 and thyroid antibodies sitting at 140 normal upper range being 34 could I have Hashimotos disease based on this. I have joint and muscle pain which has been ongoing for a number of years. Any advice you can give would be great. I go back to see my consultant in a weeks time. Thank you Jo.

• Posted

Hello Joanne:

Hashimoto's can make you swing between Hyper and Hypo and it is kind of sneaky as symptoms can get worse over time as the antibodies change.

Having  TPOA antibodies over 34 is a sign usually of autoimmune disease.  If you have a family history of autoimmune problems that should be included in your history and told to your doctor. Hashi's tends to be passed on and show up in ages 20 -45 or so

Also a titer for  Epstein-Barr (EBV) which is a known reason for antibodies to become active.  It is a nasty virus and lays dormant and then comes out later and can cause TPOA & TGab tests to become abnormal. 

Your TSH is 0.4 which sounds Hyper  and T4 is a bit high should be 9 to 19.  I would say you have too much thyroxine but at that dose you should not have so many symptoms.  Hashi's can make you swing also.

I would ask for a few blood tests, EBV titer, T4 & T3, TPOA & TGab both test for antibodies and are different in the way they test. You need both.  TSH, B-12,  Vit D, Hemoglobin, and Ferritin.  You need good levels of Ferritin to make Levo work well.  It has to be above 70+.  One other test which can also pick up autoimmune problems is an ESR, (Ethyrocyte Sedimentation Rate), and that is important in diagnosing autoimmune.

I hope this helps, any questions just ask.

Shelly

• Posted

Thank you so much! I have been doing some research and it sounds like it's best to proactive. My doctor tends to be more passive, she rather wait things out. But I will meet with her and ask to get some more testing done. Thanks again!
    • Posted

Thanks Shelly

I went back to see my endo last Friday the rheumatologist last week confirmed I have Fibromyalgia and the endo said I have Hashimoto Thyroiditis. He is going to write to my gp as he wants me to drop my levo from 175mg down to 75mg and introduce T3 at 20mg and have bloods repeated after 6 weeks.

I prey this gets sorted as have been off work just feel at the moment cannot cope very tearful and extremely forgetful which upsets me. Just hope my gp does not dispute hus decision as I believe some can. Will keep you posted... thanks Jo x

• Posted

Hello Joanne:

Keep me updated good or bad.  That is a huge drop from 175mcg so normally you reduce in 25mcg increments. For example 150mcg then 125cg....etc.... Now that you know what you have, it can be treated.

Any questions just ask.

Shelly

• Posted

Hey Shelly,

I just got my second blood test results back and my tsh level has unfortunately raised to 5.71. My FT4 levels are still considered normal. I have an appointment for the doctor. But do you have any advice? I'm only 16 and I'm quite worried. I am pretty symptomatic, weight gain, hair loss, fatigue, etc. Thanks for all you help

Ellie

• Posted

Hello Ellie:

You will need thyroid replacement hormone (Levothyroxine one of them).  Your TSH is now over the normal of  0.45  4.50 and it will keep rising until you get on thyroid replacement hormones.

Ask the doctor for this medication and 25mcg is a starter dose and it takes 6 to 12 weeks to build a level.  You must take it 1 hour before food.  The FT4 being normal will change in time as the disease progresses.  If you take Levo it will help control things so PUSH for this at your appointment.

Symptoms will also subside after taking Levo or thyroid hormone, and stress to your doctor your symptoms. If he fails to listen may need to complain to a higher authority but I hope this will not happen.  Just be very firm and state how you are feeling!

Please keep me updated.

Shelly

• Posted

Hey shelly,

Its been awhile, and ive finally seen a specilast. She says that because my FT4 levels are normal (12.7) and are not affected by the raise of my TSH levels, she sees no reason to medacate me. She said i should do a blood test at least once a year, to make sure everything is still normal. She explained that there is a new resarch on a gene that causes the thyroid to be more ressistent to the TSH, and she belives this is the reason my TSH is high while everything else is normal. Looks like my thyroid just need a liite bit more of a "kick" to get working.

Thanks for all you help and advice!

Ellie.

• Posted

Hello Akaellie:

That is good news. Glad your blood work like FT4 and other thyroid tests are okay.

Sometimes a bad virus or flu or some kind of germ can also bother the thyroid for a while.  It can make the TSH rise.  The gene thing could also be a cause.  So do make sure they check your blood at intervals in time, so you can catch any change.

Stay well,

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.