Hypothyroidism Help

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

Ill start from the beginning .. when I was first diagnosed with Hypothryoidism back in April I had a TSH of 29, felt fatigued, anxious and dizzy all the time, I started Levothyroxine and some symptoms dissipated - some got worse, but mainly new symptoms started to the point I felt like a Hypochondriac.. anyway a few months later my TSH came down to 8.7 on 75mcg .. many symptoms now disappearing some days I actually feel OK but most days I have : Shortness of breath, not like panting but like I cant get enough air almost all of the time, seriously painful neck at the back of my neck and obviously fatigue .. anyhow I recognise these are all symptoms of Hypo so I try and get on with life best I can, This Tuesday after being on a month of 100mcg my bloods have come back with a TSH of 2.7 which the GP has told me is within normal range and I'm now better ?

problem I have is the Shortness of breath, fatigue and neck and chest pains are all still present the chest pain is from the sternum area not the heart area, I've had lung x-rays which have come back OK and 24 Hr heart tapes, which are again normal - I'm really worried what could be wrong now my TSH is OK .. I've told a few different GPs about my concerns but I don't really ever get an answer

Has anyone else had these symptoms ? even after their TSH figures are within "Normal" range ? I don't really know what to do

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Those on Levothyroxine should keep their Tsh level anywhere from 1.00 to 2.00, in order to feel their best.  I didn't feel my best until my TSH went down to 1.00.  Also, it's not instant in the ease of symptoms.  Some symptoms can take months, after getting to that optimal dose, to finally calm down and allow you to start to feel better.  Remember.. it didn't take a few days for your symptoms to appear and it won't take days for your symptoms to go away.  This is a very slow process.  Also.. it's very easy to blame every little symptom on the hypothyroidism.  I'm not saying this is your case, but I just want to make you aware that there are many vitamin and mineral deficiencies that come along with hypothyroidism, that need to be checked and corrected too.  Vitamin D deficiency is a big one.  It's very common and has all the same symptoms as hypothyroidism.  Vitamin B12, well, all your B vitamins, iron, selenium, zinc, magnesium and Vitamin E too.  I'm not sure what other ones.. but you should look up symptoms of these and then ask your doctor to test you for the ones that fit your symptoms.   You would probably benefit from a good multi-vitamin.  It should slowly, take care of most of these, if you have any deficiencies, except for the Vitamin D.  Vitamin D is treated with very large doses, once a week for 12 weeks or more.  Hope this helps...

• Posted

cheers Melissa

i wish GPS would talk us through this I didn’t even get a call after bloods I had to call reception and got told your results are now normal - no advice or follow ups 

• Posted

Hi Matt, I am in the same boat, my TSH is down to 2.85 but from what I understand from incessant Googling and users on this site like Sweet Melissa, that is still a tad high.  

I am curious as to if your dizziness has dissipated?  That is my main symptom at this point and while the severe 2-3 pm daily fatigue crash has gone away the head pressure or wooziness has not.  Have you had better luck?  

Rose

• Posted

Hi

Rose, it’s better than it was a few months back but I still get dizzy very often, although it’s not for Long, enough to notice I feel a bit off balance and it’s gone

Matt

• Posted

Thanks Matt.  I hope for both of our sakes that the dizziness goes away soon!  

Rose

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.