Hypothyroidism in an otherwise 'healthy looking' young woman

Posted , 1 user is following.

I'm going to my GP this week as I have a low level of Thyroxine, as a recent blood test showed. The first blood test I had in January this year also showed a low level of Thyroxine, but my GP wanted to do another test just to confirm. She said this was because I didn't display as many of the symptoms of Hypothyroidism that she would have thought.

My main symptom has been with my digestion, anything I eat I feel and look extremely bloated. This worsens the week before my period. I have suffered from extreme constipation for years, and have had no help from GP's that I have been to in the past. After I changed GP I have now have these tests done and am so grateful. I should imagine I'll be put on Thyroxine tablets now. I would be interested to know some of the side effects that people have experienced?

Other symptoms I have include very lifeless hair and lethargy despite eating a wide, varied and balanced diet and sleeping 8 hours on average.

However I am not overweight, but feel I very well may be if I didn't walk everywhere and go to the gym 3 times per week. I strongly recommend to everyone with this problem to be as physically active as possible. This will ensure that a slow and sluggish digestion will be 'helped along' and excess calories will be burnt.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have recently had a similar experience. I don't appear to have any of the symptoms for hypothyroidism, but having a blood test for something else it was noticed that my leves of thyroxine were low.

Have just started tablets, so will see how it goes....

• Posted

I was only diagnosed after finding out I have coeliac disease,which is also an autoimmune disease,coeliac is a digestive disorder that has symptoms like IBS.so the bloating constipation or loose motions,are related to coeliac .this is controlled by glutenfree diet.
  • Posted

Hello, I was diagnosed 6 months ago after having severe stomach and digestion problems over a period of about 18 months along with bad periods. I was originally told i had IBS but by me going back and forth to the Doctors did they do a blood test and diagnose Under Active Thyroid. Since taking my levo thyroxine (50mg to start) i do feel amazing, its difficult to see how i kept going over the previous 18 months as its not until you are [i:bfc543ae6a]normal[/i:bfc543ae6a] that you realise how bad you are, i still wouldnt say i am right as rain, i am going back for another blood test tomorrow as i am still having the following, missing periods, dry skin, palpitations, constipation, mood swings (i personally dont think i do but my other half disagrees!!) and sweating. I am now on 100mg and although wouldnt say im completely fixed i am alot happier and definately relieved.
  • Posted

I was dignosed with an underactive thyroid about four years ago when my youngest child was about 18 months old. I had been feeling really ill for quite a long time and had had several visits to the GP,but was unable to explain what was wrong, the GP said I was depressed and run down with three young children and a demanding job to cope with and started me on antidepressants which made me feel worse.One day I just couldn't put up with it any more and rung the GP in tears,Ifelt like I was dying.Eventually a blood test was done and it was discovered my tsh was greater than 75.Iwas started on thyroxine but my levels seem to fluctuate,Iwas taking 125mcgs but then 150mcgs,this was too much and i was put back on 125mcgs.Ihaven't felt well at all for about a year,six months ago my levels were ok but a recent test has shown my tsh is now over 15 so I am back on 150mcgs,I just hope Iwill start to feel better soon,I have put on weight,my joints ache on a morning,my eyes are puffy and I feel tired all the time,which makes me grumpy and bad tempered,which I really don't want to be I just want to feel normal and have the energy to do fun things with my children.I too have had digestive problems and after many painful and embarassing tests have been diagnosed with IBS,the symptoms are always worse when my thyroid levels are not right,Ialso get a lot of bloating before my period sometimes 10 days before,Iconstantly feel sluggish and long to have more energy. I'm sure that your experience will be more positive than mine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.