Hypothyroidism is killing and my career

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been experiencing black outs lately and have been off my thyroxine for a close to a year since I felt it had no effect on me. I found that it wasn't masking any of the effects of the underactive thyroid at all as I was still tired 24/7 and always felt light headed and dizzyness had occurred weekly if not daily. Plus I always love how everyone I worked for causes me lazy on the account of my tiredness and fatigue.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Not sure if you have a question here. When you quit thyroxine were you having blood tests to see if you were taking enough? Are you working with your doctor on your ongoing symptoms ? Because it's unlikely they will go away on their own, obviously.

• Posted

yes i know but even on the medication the symptoms kept occuring so i really see no point in taking them from now on.
  • Posted

You really have no choice Caleb you need thyroxine to live. If you were lightheaded then you may have been undermedicated. See your doctor as soon as possible.
  • Posted

So how do you know if you were taking a big enough dose? You didn't answer that. Maybe you walked away too soon? Face it, if you don't seek medical help nothing's going to improve. If you have decided there's no point in pursuing your problem with your doctor then what sort of help are you looking for here?

I understand how distressing this whole thing is for you. Most of us here are going through similar stuff. So listen to the advice to man up and get back to your doctor, get more blood tests and back on a higher dose of meds.

• Posted

Caleb, your thyroxine is not meant to mask your symptoms it is replacing a substance that your body should normally produce itself that you need in order to be healthy. It can take many months of increasing doses and blood tests in order for you to feel better. As previous posters have, I urge you to go back to your doctor. They are usually willing to work with you to find an appropriate dosage that is within normal range and that you feel 'normal' with

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.