Hypothyroidism is ruining my life!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everybody, I've just joined, so don't know if anybody will see this.

When I was sixteen, I started to display all of the symptoms of Glandular Fever. Two years went by until the doctors finally diagnosed me with Hypothyroidism. At this point, my thyroid levels were that bad, that I looked bloated, had balooned to a size 18 and became very ill. As you can imagine, being 5'2 the weight started to effect my back/ joints etc. which just added insult to injury.

The doctors started me on 150 micrograms of Levothyroxine, which was then increased to 200. I went down to a size 10/12 and felt happy, healthy and fit. I had so much energy and found myself wanting to work out once, sometimes twice a day. The positivity came from nowhere, my skin felt great, my hair felt strong and the weight seemed to melt away.

I'm now 22 and I am feeling depressed, tired all of the time, I have no energy to work out and I find myself forgetting things all of the time. I find myself asking how I've ended up back where I started. I'm still on 200 microgramms of thyroxine - but I've now been diagnosed with Polysistic Ovarys.

I just feel like I'm getting nowhere, I'm back to a size 18, I don't feel confident, I just feel like this condition is destroying my life and theres nothing I can do about it. I try to push myself to exercise, but I just don't have the energy. I work full time and by the time I get home I am far too tired to move. I go straight to sleep, sometimes without eating. So how am I putting on weight?

I need to understand whether theres things I can take/ eat/ do to make myself feel better. Can anyone help me?

Thanks...

Lizzie

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have the same but except my weight is unbalanced I lose weight and gain weight 170lb to 195 lb it god no higher or lower than that I really don't know why , I was started on 50 mcg levothyroxine and I've been since within a month I feel ok but not great I still have slow thinking and concentration , you should really speak to your doctor
  • Posted

Lissie I know it can be difficult but you need a second opinion from an endocrinologist who is open to looking at symptoms not just tests.  You may need t3 and a gluten free diet.  Please get better help.  It is hard when you have brain fog but you need better medical help than you are evidently getting
  • Posted

Thank you so much for replying, it's lovely to see positive comments and it has made me feel a lot better. I have booked in to see an Endocronologist privately, so that I will be assessed quicker - Hopefully I will get some good results. I have just been for blood tests for diabetes, cealiac (Think thats how you spell it) Gluten etc. The worrying thing is that my dad is diabetic and my mum has a gluten intolerancy. I'm just worried that this will be what I get - are these things hereditary.

smile

• Posted

Good for you!  that's what you need to do for starters.  What you need to look for:  a doctor who listens, who does a battery of tests, not just one, who thinks t3 is important and who is open to frequent followups.  You have to take charge yourself which means doing a LOT of reading about this problem which IS manageable given enough patience.  Gluten intolerance is not tough to manage just tiresome at times. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.