Hypothyroidism, levothyroxine and hair

Posted , 17 users are following.

I have a question that will sound crazy to some but is ruining my own well being. I have been on levothyroxine 50 mcg for about 2 1/2 years. I experience alot of the normal side effects. Weight gain, can't lose weight, dry skin etc etc. My question, does anyone have a problem with bleaching your hair. I have brown hair and have it stripped down to blonde with foils (highlighted). I can't get the color to bleach down to blonde anymore. I've tried 3 different times and its just not working anymore. I'm so very fustrated. It looks blonde right after done but as soon as I wash it, it looks brownish color. Does anyone have this problem? Does anyone think levo medication or thyroid problems could be the cause of this. I know your hair can thin out due to this condition but would it affect the highlighting or coloring your hair. Its bad enough I feel like crap about myself dealing with hypo now I have to deal with looking in the mirror and hating my hair. I know sounds vain and insignificant huh? Please let me know if anyone is experiencing this. I would really appreciate it. Thanks

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I just got my hair colored Friday with the foil, as soon as I left I am like I can't tell a difference. I am so frustrated with this... 50 years old and I try to feel better about myself and then I spend $55.00 and can't even tell a difference...SO DISCUSSED. I AM THINKING ABOUT NOT TAKING MY THYROID MEDICINE ANYMORE AND MAYBE MY HAIR WILL LOOK BETTER AND BETTER BLONDE

• Posted

I thought I was the only one with this problem. Yes, no matter how many times I get my hair blond, it get dark after a few washes. I did not happen before I started taking the medication    
  • Posted

Just as additional info...I am a hairstylist 30 + years. Products like malibu that you can use prior to colour services will help to eliminate medication build up on the hair strand. It makes a huge difference.
  • Posted

I have Hoshimoto Thyroiditis for over 20 years.  I've been on a thyroid compound for many years as I don't convert T4 to T3.  My hair is thin, with breakage, frizzy ends and falling out on top along the hairline.  I've been coloring my hair for more years than I've had a thyroid disease.  My natural hair is currently very light brown (and white) and about a foot or so long.  I've been getting it colored a medium blonde every month or so without any problems until about 2yrs ago.  The color won't fully absorb into the last 4-6 inches of the hair.  It will be at least 2 shades lighter than the first 4 or so inches near the scalp.  The dye also washes out of the ends a lot faster... like 2 washes and it's mostly gone.  Weird thing is... the color ends up being a very light ashy blonde.  I would think it would be the light brown and white that my natural color is.  It happens if I do my hair myself (tried different brands) or if I get it done at the salon.  That all said... I'm guessing that it's not medication specific.  Maybe it's just the thyroid issue itself?  It's odd for me that it took so long for it to happen.  I've been on meds for years.  The only other thing that happened is effing menopause.  That's probably what it is!!  It's the cause of everything else going wrong with my health right now.  Is anyone else in menopause?    

• Posted

I'm older than death! NO THYROID. Docs killed it years ago. I have dark brown hair almost black. I get it professionally colored for years & years & years. BLOND with beautiful highlights. 9 weeks or a little longer hair near scalp is dark orange hues, ends ash blond. I take levothyroxin 88mcg. i wonder if med causes this problem. HIGHLY FRUSTRATING.

• Posted

HI , I take 88 mcg levothyroxin. Have taken it for years & years. I have dark brown almost black hair that I have color treated . Blond highlights etc. STARTS OUT beautiful blond color, fabulous highlights. 9 weeks or longer later my hair has deepened to an orange hue. everytime!!!! Hair ends don't seem to be affected. HAIR DRESSER HASN'T BEEN ABLE TO FIGURE OUT WHY. Wondering if it is the medication too.

• Posted

I haven't experience that issue as I don't color my hair anymore, but I DO know that the thyroid and/or the meds affect your hair. Mine has turned GREEN-ish blond, from a very pretty silvery color. GREEN hair. Gee thanks, thyroid. Since I've been on 100mcg for 32 years, I thinking my doc is going to up my dosage. Will find out test results tomorrow. Let's buy a wig.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.