Hypothyroidism + Menstruation

Posted , 5 users are following.

My major hypothyroid symptoms have been in check for almost a year and especially the past month or so because of an increase in my Levothyroxine dosage. That changed when my period came a few days ago. The symptoms I am feeling are not my normal PMS symptoms. I am so tired that my face and eyes feel heavy like a ton of bricks. I can't focus on any of my school work and I forget what I'm thinking about pretty frequently. My mental health feels shot because last night I was sobbing my eyes out and now today I don't feel any emotions. I feel like I am disassociating and sick with anxiety. I don't usually experience these things. The last time my mental health took a turn like this was the months leading up to my thyroid diagnosis.

So I guess my question is that do other people experience a severe increase in PMS/Thyroid/Mental health symptoms during their period? I know thyroid problems influence the flow/frequency/etc of someone's period but what about vice versa? Are there studies on thyroid function during menstruation? I'm seeing my Endo in two months so I'll talk to him about it but I just wanted to see what other people experience. thanks!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I believe it can affect pms. I’ve noticed a change in my pms while hypo. Hopefully, with your increase it’ll get your levels where they need to be and by next month it’ll be better.
  • Posted

Hello Hunter, levothyroxin certainly affected my cycle and my hormones. 

I’m not sure though that I’d put the symptoms on your iwriod, as I experienced similar symtoms at any time of the month while on the levo, and as a result of hypothyroid. 

If I were to guess, I’d say your crying is a hypo symptom. I found the meds to cause anxiety.

The Levo creates an imbalance- the T4 is on the high end and T3 is on the low end of normal ranges. When the T3/T4 ratios are out of whack, it can cause both hyper and hypo symptoms at the same time.

Thyroid function is key to proper hormonal function. A red flag for thyroid disease is low progesterone which causes excessive bleeding.  Low thyroid can lead to premature menopause because the hypothyroid disease causes the body to start shutting down nonessential functions.

In the end, hormones, pancreas and thyroid are all part of the endocrine system and work together to maintainl and balance energy.

• Posted

Yes, I am much more sensitive to my hormone changes during my period. I had a bit of a thyroid rollercoaster going from hyper to hypo then back to hyper again. My levels are stable now and have been for almost 6+ months but I am still sensitive around my period. I get an increase in anxiety about 5-6 days before, weepy while bleeding. And lower mood while ovulating. This has been consistent. Keeping track of my moods and making a note on my phone helps me to understand why I’m feeling a certain way! 
    • Posted

I know the weepy thing is a red flag for me that my thyroid is liw, but I get  at any time. 

Progesterone levels drop a few days before mensus. If progesterone levels are too low, you get spotting.  Hypothyroid can cause this.

The whole hypothyroid thing can cause low progesteron and other funky hormone problems. While I was on the levothyroxin, my period became much lighter than it ever was.

I really think the levothyroxin supresses the putuitary much more than just suppressing TSH. I also felt that while on the levothyroxin, I had both hyper and hypothyroid symptoms at the same time. It was impossible to think straight and the anxiety was horrible. 

Y cycle had always been very stable. The thyroid stuff really threw off my cycle, which can take months or years to get back on track. I found avupuncture to be the most effective way to get things back on track.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.