Hypothyroidism or something else?

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I'm going to keep this short but a couple of years ago I started to get tired. It was around sophmore year of high school and I would have to put my head down to rest during class it wasn't a sleepy feeling more like a fatigue, a heavy foggy weak feeling. I struggled with serve insomina and it would take up to 3 to 4 hours of just laying in bed to fall asleep. This fatigue usually hits me the hardest in the afternoon around 4 or 5 and goes away at 8pm on the dot. I would have brain fog all day. Until that special time 8pm. Sometimes a little earlier. It was like some one hit me with a burst of energy and I would become happy motivated etc. Could it be my cortisol?

Ok so background. My Mom her brother and her mother all had hypothyroidism. So my mom started to get me tested about a year before I started experiencring fatigue.

My TSH was around 5.5 and I don't know if that high or not but the blood test showed I had thyroid antibodies too. Skip a couple of years I finally went to my mom's thyroid doctor and she said that the only way she would put me on meds was if my current TSH was over 3. So I got my blood done and it showed my TSH was 3.3 so I began sythroid........

With I a couple of days the brain fog started to lift in the morning I couldn't believe it at first and was almost in denial the fatigue in the afternoon got 50% better. But then I felt like the 50mcg was getting less effective over time.

I wanted more more more.

I went back to the doctor and got another blood test and it was around 1 she told me that she would not increase my dose because she didn't think I had thyroid problems. So I went to another doctor to get second opinion and she was a little but more lenient. She said I could take an extra 50mcg on top of my 50 once a week to see what that would do. So I started to increase my dose by 25 once a week. At first I strated to feel better. The sun was less bright in my eyes the fog and fatigue started to lift.

But I started to get palps. So I stopped because I also had a sinus infection that made all my symptoms worse.

Ok sooooo just a couple of days ago I started to experiment I took 1/4 of a 50mcg 2 days in a rowhile in waited a day and took about a half of a 50mcg the next day after I took that half I never felt better! But then I feel like the synthroid wears off in a couple of days is this normal???

Could the synthroid be masking something else? Or do I have hypothyroidism? I feel like I need at least 75mcg of synthroid to feel normal again but my last TSH was at 1 so I don't know if the doctor with let me do it?

I just want to know if snythroid could be masking some other disorder? Maybe like an sometching like a low grade infection or sleeping disorder?

Thanks!

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Have you had other things checked such as TPO to see if it's auto-immune related, vit d, b, zinc, calcium, magnesium, ferritine? Have you been checked for EBV? It's important to get a full check as with hypo ppl normally tend to be deficient in other things too.

• Posted

hi....you don't mention any other health issues other than incredible fatigue. Thyroid dysfunction can be part of a wider, more systemic disease, auto immune based. But with absence of other health issues I feel sure the thyroid problem itself is enough to make you feel tired and cause insomnia. 

I don't have thyroid issues so I'm afraid I can't make any recommendations but I feel sure others on here can. 

I do agree with Mary who says maybe get checked for any auto immune issues. 

• Posted

So I also have high cholesterol almost got to 300 and it's strange because Im a 135p male. Also I have no sex drive at all. Also I feel weak sometimes like I just want to lay down but not sleep especially after a hot shower in afternoon. And of course the brain fog and insomina.

What's weird to is that everytime i increase my dose I get so tired at night! Like it cures my insomina Luke it makes me tired at the right time.

I feel like im in denial everytime i increase my dose because I feel like it's to good to be true.

• Posted

Is your Dr. An endocronoligist. Excuse spelling. Changing Dr.s helps many people including me. Many Dr.s and some endo's don't know as much as they should. Checking tsh alone does not always work. You need t3, t4 and antibodie check. My Drrsn a large number of blood test to rule out other things. Speak up and ask question. Hope this helps. Barbara

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.