Hypothyroidism sufferer

Posted , 6 users are following.

As some of you may know from reading some of my past postings I have been suffering from hypothyroidism for the last 2 1/2 years now let me tell you it's been a nightmare I have been in and out of the hospital for the past two years suffering from heart palpitations chest pain high blood pressure numbness in hands and feet. I'm going to tell you that I'm about to lose my mind . I have been prescribed every type of medication you can think of from high blood pressure to anxiety to sleep insomnia to pain medication. My primary doctor thinks I'm crazy so she referred me to a psychiatrist and my psychiatrist has prescribed me three more medications . So I must say over the course of two years I have been prescribed about 25 bottles of medication. I know that's a lot but I was smart enough not to take all that medication. So I've been doing some research and this is what I have come up with please let me know if anyone else out there feels the same . My thyroid was ablated in 2015 . So I said to myself I need one medication that will supplement what I lost with my thyroid instead of 25 medications being prescribed to me to make up for the symptoms I'm having due to ablated thyroid.I think that makes a lot more since. Because what I have been experiencing is too much medication to supplement my thyroid loss which is making me miserable. Now I have tried levethyroxine and Synthroid but It didn't work for me maybe because it only contains T4 and I may need something that has both T3 and T4 . Now prior to my diagnosis in 2014 I never had any blood pressure issues or cholesterol issues I always ate pretty healthy and worked out quite often . But all of a sudden I lose my thyroid everything is out of whack . I just feel I'm on way too much

medication and something needs to be done every time I talk to my endocrinologist she tells me my TSH is not high enough for thyroid medication because it's always 5. +. Now that I've been researching and thinking about all the medication I have I think I need to try a thyroid medication is there anyone else out there that feels the same please let me know i'm suffering . I have lost so much behind this my five-year relationship almost my job and my happiness I need help.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

I too suffer from an ablated thryoid. It's also been around 2 - 3 years for me too suffering from hypothyridsim. I would say you need to get on Pig thyriod medication ( Desiccated thyroid medication). Pig thryoid medication has both T3 and T4 plus alittle extra. I heard pig thyroid meds works better for those who's thyroid is completely gone/or dead.

I currently am taking WP thyroid, and it's been working pretty good for me. Combine with a good diet, no gluten, no dairy, no soy, etc. Plus vitamins like, vitamin D, iron, etc. All of this has helped me to feel so much better compared to what I was feeling about a year ago. Hope that helps!

• Posted

Hi.

I am in the same position as you

Even my wife ha said that before I started medication for thyroid I never complained about anything. Instead have been in and out of a and e with different problems.

Chest pains, testicle pain, twitching and generally just feeling awful. Feel like a hypochondriac

I was diagnosed 2 years ago roughly. I have a review on 27th of this month so hopefully I can change something too.

Hope all goes well for you

• Posted

I also agree with a previous comment to try NDT. As well as porcine (pig) medication you can buy a bovine (cow) medication without prescription called thyrogold. This is the one I take and it has slightly less t3 than the porcine meds so it's easier on my heart. I was miserable on levothyroxine and it had affected my relationship and jobs etc. A few other people on this forum take thyrogold too, which is where I found out about it. You may also find that ndt lowers your Tsh (sometimes it will be artificially suppressed when you are on the correct dose which is something to look out for if you do decide to try it). Good luck

• Posted

I say, if your endocrinologist will not listen to your need to try medication then get a new one!   Keep looking, until you find one that will treat your symptoms.  Also.. a TSH of 5.00 is too high.  When I get to 5.00, I feel awful.  My endo said that he likes to keep his patients TSH at around 1.00, because that's where they feel their best.  I myself, did not feel better until my TSH was at 0.95.  Also, it's normal and okay, to try different medications until you find one that works for you.  There are plenty of supplements over the counter, or prescription.  Everyone is different, and do better with different treatments.  Best wishes...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.