Hypothyroidism, synthroid and anxiety

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had rai in June and beginning of August was hypo.. tsh of 44 (normal around 2-4 or something so really high)

Was put on synthroid.. 100mcg....anxiety hit and they reduced it to 88mcg a week later..... it's been 4weeks since I started synthroid...anxiety is off the charts...all day...nights see me waking every hour to adrenaline rushes.. first one usually I'm drenched in sweat... I keep seeing doctors and they just keep saying hang on, you will adjust...

I'm not a wimp, but I can't believe people go through this and survive..it is by far the roughest thing I've ever been through..how long does it take to "adjust"?... I assume the next 2weeks it will still be increasing in my body since they say it takes 6 weeks to reach its height...

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Did they actually start you out on 100mcg?  That's crazy!!  25mcg is the standard starting dose.  Even that has side effects and left me feeling speedy and filled with anxiety until I got used to the med.  You need to be referred to an endocrinologist.  I don't know how your even still taking it.  You must feel awful.  I couldn't even drink my morning coffee on the 25mcg.  Definitely  see an endocrinologist.

• Posted

How I wish there was an endocrinologist here... I saw the only one, an hour away....she shouldn't be allowed to practice....she started me on 175 mcg..and said she would see me again in January.....After 2 days I saw my md who was shocked...he reduced it to 100...and after a week to 88....

How long did it take you to get used to it? I'm hoping if I keep taking it for the 6weeks they say it takes for full benefits that I will then adjust ..and hoping if I need increases after that they will be only 12.5 and easier to take...

Yes, I feel worse than horrible....basically staying in bed, shaking, crying etc....

• Posted

Well, I'm not sure how long before your body will get used to such a high dose.  I was started on 25mcg and it was raised every 4 to 6 weeks until my TSH was around 1.00.  Everytime it was raised, the side effects would come back as though it was my starting dose.  I ended up having to split my dose and take half in the morning and half at night, as this helped to lessen the jitteryness for me.  By the time I got to my correct dose, it took about 6 to 8 weeks before most the side effects were gone.  Now, as for feeling better from the hypothyroidism itself, it took about 4 to 5 months after my last dose raise to feel good again.  I would say that you have a long road ahead of you.  This is a very slow process.  I feel so bad for you that you are starting out on such a high dose.  Maybe try splitting it like I did?  I might help a little.  Not sure with your high dose though.  If I were you, I would not take that high of a dose and I would take only 25mcg at a time for a week and then raise it another 25mcg every week until I got to the 100mcg.  Not telling you to do that.. but I would.

• Posted

I had a thyroidectomy 3 weeks ago, I had raging T3 thyroid toxicosis  , non responsive to meds, with Graves' disease. My surgeon put me on 110mcg to start, and my GP is up on it, with lots of checks. So far I'm not hypo, but I do have horrid nightmares , and some nausea every day.

im told it's a process , when my levels respond my dose will be adjusted. I ended up back in hospital at the weekend  as my calcium levels jumped high on the ad cal they gave me and my muscles spammed badly.

no one tells you what to expect, that's the problem...they don't know.

catalogue your doses and the effects, I really hope eventually they will find the optimum dose for you. It's a journey, and not an easy one. I accept that, but I get anxious as this is my life and I hoped for better post hyper x

all the best...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.