Hypothyroidism - Tired and not getting helped

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone,

Over the past year and a half I've started accusing tiredness, exhaustion and all the symptoms generally connected to hypothyroidism. I did not realize at first, so for the first year I tried to fight it through, with not success. As a result I could not keep up with the physical activity and livestyle I had before. I went from training 4 times per week, to barely being able to do anything because I am too tired. My weight went from 85Kg (187lbs) to 115kg (253lbs). I finally decided to visit my GP to get this figured out, a few months ago, and from the blood tests it resulted that I had a 'light' form of Hypothyroidism, with high TSH and low T4. T3 was not tested.

I was prescribed 25mg Levothyroxine everyday, for 6 weeks, anfter which my blood was to be tested again. This time, the T4 was in 'good range' (The GP did not give me the values). 

Since i did not have any sort of improvement in my condition, my GP agreed to up the dose from 20mg to 50mg per day, and proceed again for 6 weeks.

At this point, I still don't feel any improvements. I actually feel even more tired.

The doctor won't increase the dose, and also is not willing to check my T3 levels nor refer me to an Endocrinologist.

In his opinion, if the 50mg dose did not work by now, the initial diagnosys of Hypothiroidism was wrong, and he wants me to stop medication and start seeing a dietologist.

What should I do?

I would like to point out that I always had a sporty lifestyle and balanced diet, and never had weight gain issues before all this started, so I don't believe that is a cause, but rather a consequence of this whole situation.

Pleas ehelp me sad

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Zagar, sorry you're having such a bad time.  It is essential to read up as much as you can about hypothyroid - the GP will say your level is fine if I try wishing a certain range but that's not good enough.  My last test was at 4.8 - top end of the scale and he said it was normal (I felt dreadful) In despair I paid to see an endocrinologist and now I'm just below 1 and feeling good again but it's taken two years to get things right.  Join British Thyroid Foundation - really helpful for all,sorts of info and not much too join (I appreciate you may not be able to pay to see an endocrinologist) . Once you are armed with more info going forward when you get your test results keep a copy and make a note of how you are feeling, this is useful going forward if anything changes.  I started on 50mcg levothyrlxine and am now on 100mcg plus 125 on two days a week.  Diet can help too if you are disciplined.  Best of luck.

• Posted

Ask your doctor for printouts of your results. If you are OK with sharing them here then it will assist me (and others more knowlgeable than me :-) in giving helpful advice. Most people seem to do best with a TSH around 1, so if yours is well above that then you may well be hypothyroid. It is also unfortunately true that some people, me included, still suffer from tiredness and other symptoms even when taking the medication. Learn as much as you can, as Jane suggested.
  • Posted

Yes.. get copies of your results and ask for a referral to an endocrinologist.  It sounds as though your doctor doesn't know what he's doing. 

• Posted

Thank you all for your replies!

After a few days I finally managed to get a copy of the results from my doctor.

These were the results:

02 June 2017:

Free T4 (FT4): 13,96 pmol/l

TSH: 7,3 mU/l

And here the results after 7 and a half weeks on Levothyroxine 25mcg every day.

24 July 2017:

Free T4 (FT4): 15 pmol/l

TSH: 5,6 mU/l

What are your thoughts? I really don't have the knowledge yet to understand if I am really hypothyroid, if the dosage is correct and what else.

• Posted

So the medication has reduced your TSH, BUT not enough yet, as it needs to be below 4, probably closer to 1. 

A Tsh above 4 means you are hypothyroid.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.