Hypothyroidism Weight Gain & Hair loss depressing me :'( any suggestions please?

Posted , 8 users are following.

rustrated with Hypothyroidism Weight Gain

Hello ladies, I'm 23 years old I've been diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 6 ish years ago and I've needed hormone adjustments throughout the years infact the last increase in my Synthroid dosage was about a month ago. I continue to struggle with two significant symptoms due to my thyroid condition, one is hair loss/ hair thinning & the other one is weight gain both of which seem to only worsen as the years go by and quite frankly this struggle has taken its toll on me and my self-esteem I've not only become two self-conscious but also a little depressed. I'd very much like to hear from you ladies who have and or are still dealing with either one or both of the symptoms I mentioned here. Any feedback and or advice is greatly appreciated.

Ps. I've seen a Dermatologist and an Endocrinologist and for now it's a waiting game since my doze hasn't been stable....I'm tired of waiting thou I'm sick and tired of it :'( I'm willing to try anything any suggestions? I've done all kinds of bloodtests and the only deficiency I have is Vitamin D (which I take supplements for) otherwise I'm perfectly healthy.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Is it possible that if you are only taking T4 that you are not converting it to the working hormone which is T3. Unfortunatley the NHS in the UK only use the TSH test which is totally unreliable and will not prescribe the T3 or the NDT which contains all the thyroid hormones. Magnesium too is  something thyroid patients need. It could also be that your adrenal glands need supporting.
  • Posted

Hi, I'm also having trouble with weight gain and hair loss. I'm taking magnesium citrate but have also started taking Biotin 10,000mg which is supposed to help with hair loss/thinning, nails and skin. I haven't been taking it long enough to notice a difference yet but a lot of people recommend it so I guess it's worth a try 😊
  • Posted

I've found that I cannot eat simple carbs like bread chips etc as in anything that uses flour rice etc. If it converts to sugar I will not lose weight. Basically I lose if I eat 4 oz or so of low fat protein and a couple of cups of vegetables but not corn or winter squash. I ate half a cup of 2% Greek yogurt and a cup of blueberries for breakfast and apple or orange 2 times a day for a snack. Good luck!
    • Posted

Should have said protein/vegetables 2 times a day. Also fast for 12 hours straight every 24 hours or your metabolism stops working right.
  • Posted

I was diagnosed just over a year ago and am on 100mcg Levo. I think I had a thyroid prob for years. I keep the weight down with exercise, plenty of water, fruit and veg and carbs at one meal a day only. The most distressing symptom and much harder to deal with is the hairloss. Before I was diagnosed my hair had thinned for years and I had kept it under control for four years with Regaine which is the only clinically proven hairloss treatment. I mentioned the hairloss to my dr when I was diagnosed and she said my hair would be fine when I started the Levo. I stopped the Regaine. Now my hairloss is worse than ever. I have read that Levo can actually increase male pattern hairloss by increasing the uptake if the hormone which causes it which has happened in my case. I will be returning to the dr, asking if they can offer an alternative to Levo(has anyone got anywhere with this in the UK or is Levo the only treatment available) and asking them to prescribe Regaine for me on prescription, as well as taking a vitamin containing biotin, cystine etc. Hope this helps, sorry for the length!
    • Posted

To answer your question about getting alternative to thyroxine in UK. The answer is 'not yet, though I'm still trying'. My story so far is...

In the end I went to one of the private encrinologists recommended by tpauk. I was allergic to the naturethroid they prescribed. Am now on ThyroGold - bought off the internet, no prescription needed. Feel loads better (brain fog gone, no longer cold and sluggish), even though I'm not yet up to the full dose (started on 23rd June 2015).

• Posted

Hi Barbara, how do you know what dose to take and does thyroid gold contain T3? I do feel ok generally on Levo and just accept the occasional bout of chronic fatigue as normal for someone who works full time and juggles 3 children too but the hair loss is really depressing me and I feel very angry with my GP about that as I feel she gave me the wrong advice. I am worried that with my hair this thin aged 43 what am I going to look like aged 50! I have read a lot about it and think the Levo is increasing the uptake of alpha-reductase 2 in my system which is causing further hair loss. I would do anything to stop this and find it so embarrassing sad
    • Posted

Hi louli7

Re: how know what dose of ThyroGold to take, I did a lot of reading on Dr John C Lowe's website. His Q&A part was particularly helpful. He lists 4 ways of determining whether your thyroid levels are ok - and none of them involve a blood test! One is take basal pulse rate i.e. after been resting (he says first thing in morning when first wake up); basal temperature using clinical thermometer (I've not found digital ones to be accurate); plus 2 other ways I can't remember (keeping a dose/symptom diary may be another). My GP and I have been monitoring my thyroid using my pulse rate for years, there is a time lag of a couple of months before the blood tests reflect my pulse and symptoms. If my basal pulse is below 60 beats per minute I'm underactive, 60-65 I'm ok, over 70 I'm overactive (66-69 monitor closely). Also I read that most people take 1-2 tablets a day (it sounds like this is of the 300mg strength). I did what he advised and started low and slow. 1x150mg taken once a day upon waking for 1-2 weeks (I did 1 week); in the second and third weeks I took 1x150mg on waking, then 1x150mg 6-8 hours later; in the fourth and fifth weeks I took 1x150mg upon waking, 1x150mg 6-7 hours later, and 1x150mg 6-7 hours later. The aim was to keep my thyroid hormone levels stable throughout the day. (I found my eczema itched if my levels got low as well as all the usual brain fog, muscle fatigue, lethargy symptoms. Note: I get eczema as a reaction to eating a food I'm intolerant to). I took my basal pulse rate to check whether my view of my symptoms was accurate. Interestingly, each time I increased the dose my pulse rate would initially respond by increasing for a week, then reduce again, but each swing became lower in magnitude. Currently my basal pulse is 52 bpm. So I've increased my dose and have today taken: 10:00 - 1x300mg; 18:45 - 1x150mg; 00:05 -1x150mg (pulse at 00:05 is 50 bpm).

I had reached desperation point before trying this medication (sorry, 'food supplement'), as I was reacting badly to levothyroxine and liquid levothyroxine - itching, swelling of fingers/hands. I was extremely dubious about buying off the internet (concerns about: what was really in what I was buying? Was it a scam? Would I lose my money? In the end as I had no alternative thyroid medication I could take, ordered the lowest dose to minimise the amount of money I could lose. It cost £35 (incl p&p) to get 90 x 150mg tablets. The bottom line is: these tablets are working brilliantly for me! Please make up your own mind whether these tablets are right for you, bearing in mind what other health conditions you have and what medication you are taking. I'm not a health professional, but having reached the end of the road with NHS thyroid medication I decided it was worth a try.

One of the reasons I find these tablets are working for me is that they have the full range of thyroid hormones in them: T1, T2, T3, T4 & calcitonin. I have problems convertng T4 to T3, hence the reason I was still getting underactive symptoms despite the blood tests showing I was being over-medicated with thyroxine.

To respind to your concern about hair loss: Iit can be a symotom of anaemia. Have you had your Ferritin levels checked? One needs one's Ferritin to be around 90 to be able to absorb thyroxine properly.

• Posted

Might be worth checking your adrenal glands, ferritin levels and other vitamins and minerals levels as I believe these can all have the symptom of hair loss. Do you know whether your body is converting T4 to T3 correctly?
  • Posted

Hi Madmoiselle, have you got the blood results and the ranges? Do you know why your thyroid is not working properly? For example have you had thyroid antibodies tested to see if you have the autoimmune version of thyroid disease? Keep a note of your symptoms, to log improvements/worsening over time. 
  • Posted

Hello Madmoiselle: 

I am a Nurse and I live in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's Thyriod disease and have gained too much weight over the years. I am 54 now.  I have a problem with converting T4 into T3 and just take T3 now (Cytomel is the medication I am on).  Have your T3 level tested. If it is low, you will have the Hypothyroid symptoms.

It is a hard struggle to lose weight.  Some of the things I do for exercise is to walk.  I lost 30 pounds doing it. I also try and swim.  It is easier on my knee joints. 

Many of us have had weight  problems and being on replacement hormone will not cause you to lose weight.  The problem is our metabolism is low and walking or exercise helps to increase it. All exercise is good for you, as it keeps your joints working and keeps the cardiovascular system in good shape.

Some people try an organized diet plan like Nutri-system and Jenny Craig.  Weight watcher's is another.  Some people have tried bariatric surgery and I myself am not a fan of it.  However, it does work as long as you follow the changes in diet.  There are doctors who specialize in Diet/Obesity problems and  they can prescibe diet meds and or diet plans for you.

I also have low vitamin D.  It is replaced easily by supplements.  We all are in the same boat.  Keep us posted on how you are doing.  Shelly

• Posted

Thank you ladies, you've all been kindly helpful to me and to eachother. I did get the bloodtest results and everything is good except my vitamin D and my Iron, which I've started taking supplements for on a regular basis. I've done fitness almost on a daily basis up until 3 ish years ago due to severe symptoms and excruciatingly debilitating pain in the abdomen and back. Medical Investigation areongoing, infact I'm due for a Diagnostic Laperoscopy in 3 days for suspected endometriosis and ovarian cysts. Reason I mention this is because this constant pain of mine prevents me from exercising. I'm never put of pain and when I am experiencing the least amount of pain then I'm dealing with extreme fatigue, exhaustion, weakness and a sense of being drained of every last drop of energy.....it's a horrible feeling being only 23 years old... yet I'm trying and will keep on trying to stand strong and heal and live healthy. I too would give anything and do anything to have my hair back if any of you finds some kinds of supplement they found effective in regrowing their hair pleasekindly share it with us. Bless you all wish you the best. Thanks again!
    • Posted

Hello Madmoiselle:

I also have endometrosis.  I also have cysts covering my ovaries.  The condition is called (PCOS) Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, and it causes weight gain all by itself.  Glucophage (metformin) is used to help control the cysts, this drug was made for Type 2 adult onset Diabetes but it works on the cysts.  I know how you feel, been there, done that!  Please ask your GP about Metformin as it may help you lose weight.  Be well....Shelly

• Posted

Hi Madmoiselle, Have you had your adrenal glands checked? Addisons disease is when the adrenal glands are not working. This might also be a reason for the fatigue (and hair loss?)  Also it's worth looking at your blood test results for T4 and T3 to see if you are converting T4 to T3 correctly. I found out by accident that I wasn't. I became intolerance to the synthetic thyroid medications (they contain maize starch) and stopped them for a few weeks whilst I was researching an alternative.  The next blood test showed T4 in range but T3 below range - as there was sufficient T4 available, the T3 should also have been in range. 

It sounds like you are on the road to feeling better now that your Vitamin D and iron deficiencies are being addressed.  All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.