Hypothyroidism ..... will this lump in my throat go?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been having problems for a long time, went drs had blood tests under active showed up but he brushed it off so i had to live with it went to see another dr other week and he did blood tests and i am having low white cells and slight under active thyroid, one thing which is really bugging me is a lump in my throat, i feel like there is something there as can constantly feel something, i am not on low dose 25mg for the thyroid, will the lump feeling go or will i always have it, or could it be more to it sad

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had a similar experience about three years ago. At that time, my blood tests, while on the lowish side of normal, were in the normal range, so my GP didn't prescribe me drugs, but (I think more to reassure me rather than because he actually thought there was anything wrong) referred me for an endoscopy and for a scan of my thyroid to rule out any serious cause. Both came back clear, which was very reassuring. If I were you, I would maybe explain to your GP again how much this is worrying you and ask if you could have a thyroid ultrasound, just to make sure that there aren't any nodules on your thyroid.

In my case, the feeling of the lump went away, but it was possibly an early warning sign that my thyroid function was slowing down, as when I was tested again this year, I was now definitely hypothyroid and have now been put on drugs.

I also felt like my thyroid was swollen for the first couple of weeks that I was on levothyroxine, but this feeling went away once my body got used to the drug.

• Posted

if i were you i would go back to my doctor and ask for a scan, i felt a small lump which my local gp told me was nothing to worry about but it got bigger i was then refereed to my local hospital and it turned out to be a cyst on my thyroid which isnt too big a deal, but a scan also showed i have loads in my throat and need another scan and iv now to have surgery in 2 months time, if in doubt get it checked out smile you'll feel better x
  • Posted

I have been taking thyroid medicine for over 27 years. I am 40 yrs. old and for the last week I've been having a lump in my throat that won't go away. I guess I need to go to the doctor soon. First I thought it was a sore throat and I was nausea. Now, I figured out that it's not my stomach at all it's a full feeling in my throat.

• Posted

I have been taking 200mcg of synthroid or levothryroxine for a few years now. I wish I could get my dose lowered but now my goiter feels like it's grown or something. I feel a lump that won't go away that makes me sick. I know I need to find out soon. Maybe it's something else that will go away by itself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.