hysterectomy?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi Ladies, I'm up in the air at the moment after going to the hospital yesterday to the gynae clinic where after an ultrasound where it was discovered that I had a couple of small fibroids, and a sample of the cervix tissue was taken to analye for malignancy( I am really worried now). THe consultant told me he was thinking on the lines of a hystercectomy, but do I go ahead has anyone of you lovely ladies had one and what happens if I go ahead I've got 5 weeks to decide as he is on holiday now until then but they will call me back in 2 weeks if they find cancer, fingers crossed they don't. I am so worried.

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi caroline

please dont worry too much, fibroids are common 40% of women have them. Some dont cause any problems at all, they are benign tumours.

i had several very large bigger than oranges, caused bleeding with sex. I also had a dropped uterus and bladder so i had hysterectomy to fix everything.

i came through smiling and aok, now i may have vaginal vault prolapse five years after my hysto. Seeing my gyno on. Monday and im really scared as my anus is affected also, feels like its dropping out.

i know i said dont be scared, its hard not to, i saw my therapist today and she gave me handouts and ive to do some meditation type exercises to ease my anxiety. Try to think positive about the fibroids imagine being free of the problems they can cause. Deep breaths, we are all going through some trying times, you can and will be able to cope. I tell myself this every dsy, i have CFS also, menopause and now this added issue. I often say i wish i had been born a male!

Be kind to yourself, do what you can to relax and ask for help.

best wishes to you,

my name is Caroline also 🌹

• Posted

Hi have you done any research on fibroids, i havent seen any articles saying they are cancerous. I would read as much as you can about them so that you are informed, i dont think they should have said they are cancer. 

• Posted

thanks Caroline I will try to relax untill I  know more my next appointment is December 22nd
    • Posted

Hi Caroline,

its not easy is it, but do keep in mind that fibroids are harmless. They just cause us a lot of pain and discomfort. Ive been very anxious for months, since a gall bladder op. I try lots of things, ive just been out in the sun for some ds. I planted a few new little fairy lights, and trying to look forward. Im drinking good filtered water, no booze, i miss a glass of champers! Christmas soon, this year has flown, i hope next year is better for everyone! I do hope the news is good for you and i will send a prayer to the angels for you and all of us! 🌻

• Posted

Ps 

Caroline, fibroids can just shrink with menopause Woo is totally correct. Very common, unless you have major issues like i did hysterectomy isnt always necessery.

good luck to you

• Posted

Oh lord, another scare tactic to cut you up and pocket the money. Fibroids are not cancerous per se unless something else is going on. I have lived with small fibroids all my life and have never been told to get a hysterectomy. Now, if they were large, that would be a different story, like my friend who had one the size of a baseball. It wasn't cancerous but it was large and it would sometimes bother her.

If you're tests come back negative which I suspect they will, keep your fibroids and your lady parts in tact. The side effects of missing any parts of your reproduction system even if you're never going to use it is quite awful to live with from what many ladies here have explained once they had a hysterectomy.

• Posted

Hi Caroline,

I had a hysterectomy a year ago.  I had numerous fibroids, several areas of adenomyosis which enlarged my uterus and a lot of endometriosis causing a lot of bleeding and pain....so opted for hysterectomy and am SO glad I did!  Because my ovaries looked healthy and there is no history of cancer in my family the decision was made to leave ovaries in, therefore easing my transition into menopause.  I had uterus, cervix and Fallopian tubes removed.  Recovery was easy and I feel great now.

i think it's a personal decision you have to make after talking it over with your doctor.  Yes, there are doctors who are quick to say..take it all out, especially male doctors.  It's your body and you need to do what You feel is best and safest for you.  My doctor is female and highly recommended keeping ovaries.  She also did say that as our estrogen levels decrease the fibroids would most likely decrease in size but in my case the other issues were the deciding factor for me.

Hope this helps...wishing you the best!

• Posted

Thanks, it's good to hear both sides of the story. I'm struggling to make my mind up on hysterectomy or not after at least two years of excessive monthly bleeding due to small fibroids causing me anaemia

• Posted

I think I'll have a word with my GP when I go to see her in a couple of weeks to see what she advices

• Posted

Caroline, I'd get at least 2 more doctors' opinions before having a hysterectomy, including an oncologist, if the biopsy sample comes back benign.  

• Posted

Hiya

i have 3 fibroids, small ones, 2.5 cm, 1.5 cm and 1cm. They give me some pains and so eti es heavy bleeding, I am perimenopause,  had ultrasound and doctors said they will shrink on it's own after the menopause, they said it's not cancerous and nothing to worry about. Is your pap smear test ok? 

• Posted

smears are ok, my next appointment to see them at gynae is on 22nd Dec, mine are 1.5cm and 3cm

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.