Hysterectomy 10 years ago convinced Hormone Inbalance

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 60 years of age.

25 years ago I had removal of the Thyroid due to cancer. I have regular blood tests for my Thyroid levels, prescibed Sandocal calcium tablets.

Approx 10 years ago I had a Hysterectomy.

I have kept a diary to monitor my symptoms for years and every 24 days I have what I call my dying phase. Chronic fatigue sheer tiredness, my eyes become so sore with tiredness cannot read watch tv. It lasts between 4 to 6 days literally confined to bed. I am on Estroegen Solo tablets. GP says I am not allowed Progesteren. Basically I loose 12 weeks out of the year. HELP

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Why are you not allowed to take progesterone?
    • Posted

Hello

I only joined this site about an hour ago so you are my very first reply. GP says not allowed Progesterone as I have had cancer many years ago. He also says it wouldnt be of any benefit anyway!!

He is convinced its not hormonal, but looking at my diary it more or less coincides with what would be a monthly cycle. Because I am so exhausted more or less a week out of every month Doc actually sent me to a sleep clinic. What an absolute waste of time and effort.

• Posted

I too kept a diary of symptoms and found it was cyclical. Although I'm 52 and still getting periods.

For some reason doctors think progesterone shouldn't be used if you don't have a uterus but I believe there are other benefits. Just read an article where women's fibromyalgia went away after taking progesterone. I would think there's a bigger risk of getting cancer on estrogen only. But I'm no expert.

Do you still have ovaries? If so, could be you are still producing hormones and they are at a low point during that week.

• Posted

Hi, I take both Estrogen & progesterone as i have a womb. I have read up lots on HRT & yes it always does say if you have no womb then it's Estrogen only you need?

?Not sure if you have your ovaries only says about womb? exclaim

• Posted

I have been using Oestradiol transdermal for 27 years.  I had both uterus and ovaries removed.  Whenever my gp thinks I should try progesterone, and I take it, I break out in night sweats, day sweats, incontinence, etc because progesterone is an antagonist to oestrogen.  For some reason she thinks it is a panacea for lots of problems.

The last time, recently, 3-4 days was too much for me and I ditched them and I am now having to increase my oestrodiol to get rid of those symptoms.  Besides what is generally prescribed is Provera/Ralovera which is a progestin, a drug pretending to be progesterone.

If you really feel progesterone will be helpful to you, ask for bio-identical progesterone, a micronized one - I recently heard of Prometrium.  Get settled on oestrogen first, and get the amount you need to be symptom free, because that is your main need.

However, as I had my ovaries removed at the same time, I do not know if keeping them changes things.  They will eventually stop producing hormones anyway.

I cannot repond further to any questions as I leave for overseas tomorrow.

• Posted

Also, ask for an Iron Studies test.  When I stopped menstruating, I started loading iron (haemochromatois) which was causing the same symptoms that you are suffering from.  BTW, I am 66.

• Posted

I have had my Iron looked at it came back all OK. Still in limbo!!

Fran

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your quick responses. Lots of info to digest plenty to read up on. Yes, I still have my overies Suzanne5480.

Kindest Regards

Fran

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.