Hysterectomy 2 weeks

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've had a virginal hysterectomy about 2 weeks ago I can not seem to get out of bed or walk about I'm so constipated from the tablets

I've no desire for food

please tell me will it get better and was it worth it I'm in so much pain and want to crawl in a ball and die thats how bad it is

it a vicious circle eat get constipated take tablets get constipated

I hope you lovely ladies can give me piece of mind

charlie

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I had a total Laparoscopic Hysterectomy and this thursday will be week 6. Mine was not as evasive as yours but i did get constipated with the pain medication and the anti-nausea meds. My doctor prescribed stool softner and said try and walk around even if its only a few steps every couple hours and drink water or warm herbal tea. Peppermint or chamomile helped with the gas and bloating as well

and the liquid helps the bowels move. It didnt work overnight it took a couple of days but it helped.

Im still doing the tea and I can get around now a lot better. As far as being worth it im on the fence still. Hugs to you.

• Posted

Hi Charlene

I had a TAH 10 weeks ago. The first two weeks are the worse but it does get better. Your body has been put through a major trauma. Your bowel and bladder has been shuffled around during the operation and it takes a few weeks to resume natural functions. You need lots of bed rest with little walks inbetween, nothing strenuous. You need to get a liquid stool softner from the chemist. I also ate lots of weetabix because I didn't feel hungry but the fibre helps . Drink lots of water . Whatever you do don't strain to force yourself to go.

It does get easier, you just have to rest and rest some more. You cannot rush the healing process. No housework or lifting for the next 4-6 weeks but do try and walk as much as you can it does help the healing process but don't overdo it.

Good Luck Hun you're not on your own. Any questions will be answered by lots of lovely ladies that have been through the same.

Michelle x

• Posted

hi Charlene

I had my vaginal hysterectomy 22 mths ago and listened to my consultant by the letter.

I didn't really have a lot of pain only cramps for a few days but did get a lit of wind and grumblin9 stomach.

I took movicol for 12 mths do I didn't strain and it worked naturally with the body and yiur rhythm.

everybody recovers differently but please see yiu gp if yiu are in extreme pain. that isnt normal.

rest easy

• Posted

i remember feeling exactly the same for the first 2 weeks. I am now 8 weeks post op, & the feeling you have now will pass.

Its hard to believe at the minute, but it does get better. I felt worthless, drained, physically ill, I was sick, nauseous and like you I had no desire to eat. I really thought id never feel better again, it wasnt a nice place to be in.

On around day 15/16 something changed, I started to feel better each day, eating more and getting about more.. Now I feel 100% happy with my decision to have the surgery. I feel better than I have for a long long time. Im 40 with 1 child. Hysterectomy due to Severe Adenomyosis.

Hang in there, you WILL feel better.

paula xx

• Posted

i remember feeling exactly the same for the first 2 weeks. I am now 8 weeks post op, & the feeling you have now will pass.

Its hard to believe at the minute, but it does get better. I felt worthless, drained, physically ill, I was sick, nauseous and like you I had no desire to eat. I really thought id never feel better again, it wasnt a nice place to be in.

On around day 15/16 something changed, I started to feel better each day, eating more and getting about more.. Now I feel 100% happy with my decision to have the surgery. I feel better than I have for a long long time. Im 40 with 1 child. Hysterectomy due to Severe Adenomyosis.

Hang in there, you WILL feel better.

paula xx

• Posted

I went through that exact cycle, you need to take stool softeners and walk as much as possible, if you dont get your bowls moving by walking you will continue to be constipated. I promise you this worked wonders for me. I feel your pain, best of luck and if you want to read about my experience I posted it here.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.