hysterectomy

Posted , 6 users are following.

Want parts do they remove when having a hysterectomy

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi lizzie ..I had mine done 6 weeks ago today.by keyhole ..best thing I've done. I've really bounced back more or less straight away depends. On the type of surgery you have ..they took everything. Except both my ovaries....so tubes cervix uterus pretty standard. Some have their. Ovaries removed. Too but thankfully I've kept mine ..will throw you into instant. Menopause. If they do ..but I haven't. Regretted. It one bit ..everyone. Says how well and refreshed and healthy. I look ..gotta be a result. Then x
  • Posted

Hi Lizzie.There are a few different operations from just having the uterus taken out to everything being removed.I had a TAH with BSO .This means my uterus,cervix,both fallopian tubes and both ovaries were removed by a horizontal cut through the bikini line so pretty much belt and braces 😊Again there are several ways to have the surgery done keyhole,vaginally or through an incision in the abdomen and again varying recovery times

Sharon x

• Posted

It depends on they type of hysterectomy you have. I had it all taken..both ovaries, uterus and cervix. It was done by key hole 3 weeks ago.
  • Posted

Hi Lizzie

It depends on the reason you are having the op.  I had a prolapsed womb and anterior repair (basically fixing the bladder up where it should be!) and so only my womb was removed.  Your consultant will tell you what he intends to remove and why it's necessary.  I worried a lot before the op as a couple of friends of mine had had it done and took a while to recover.  I can honestly say that my experience was very positive with virtually no pain or discomfort (I've suffered more pain at the dentist!).  My only problem now is stopping myself doing too much too soon because I feel so well.

Try not to worry yourself unduly.  Your pre-op appointment is a good time to get reassurance.  Make a list of everything you want to know.

Best wishes

Shani

x

(I shall use my nickname from now as I see that another Sharon has joined us!)

• Posted

Hi Lizzy,

yup I had it all removed, by keyhole and vacuum, because I'm large the surgeon warned me I might go down for the keyhole but wake up with a surgical cut. So I was delighted to find out that I'd had the keyhole, as others have said had no pain just a little tenderness.

Dont worry too much, as said the surgeon will give you a full explanation of what your going to have, and for what reason. Make a list of questions you want to know doesn't matter how trivial they may seem to you if they worry you ask! During your consultation most of those questions will probably be answered before you get to answer them. Then ask the ones that haven't come up and also ask for explanations of anything you haven't understood. If you can go with someone ask them to be a second pair of ears, as you don't always take all the info in/ or remember it!

hope it all goes well for you and have a good recovery - won't say speedy - because that's the thing about this recovery is there is a set time and like already said you can feel really great, but the body still needs the time to mend xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.