Hysterectomy @ 37 & terrified

Posted , 6 users are following.

I Ended up in hospital for 14 days last month and had an my left ovary removed, told two

Weeks ago that in actual fact was stage 1 ovarian cancer.   Have been told numerous times how lucky i am ( Lucky is not how I'm feeling 😞wink Although I do understand it's meaning  And as precaution now is best to have full hysterectomy- this is scheduled for the 1 st week in Jan .... I'm truly devastated & uncontrollably emotional at the whole situation. I'm

37 and have twins age 10 

I'm Petrified beyond belief, I've always been very optimistic person I feel like my world has now been turned on its head

I've had no pain / no problems with periods / no endometriosis I've Been for and healthy up to this point ... 

I had trouble goin to the loo for just over a week last month  doc sent me for scan and I'm

Now here ..reading desperately scary forums on what to expect when I come out from surgery. 

I'd love any advice on what to expect and really should I Be feeling life as I know and loved not is now over. 

Thanks for reading xx 

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Dear  Ladies,   I  have  only  just  joined.  I  have  read  some  of  the  Forum  and  I  really  admire  all  of  your  strength.  I  have  had  tests  done.  They  have  found  Fibroids  and  Polyps.  The  hospital  keep  on  suggesting  a  Hysterectomy.  But  loosing  your  womb,  uterus,  ovaries  and  fallopian  tubes  means  loosing  your  'Lady  Bits'.  I  still  want  to  be  a  'Lady'  a  'Woman'.  Please  help.  I  will  pray  for  all  of  you.  Thanks  for  reading.  xxx

• Posted

Hi booty1, 

I'm sorry you found yourself here ...but isnt it  lovely to talk it through ( I'd go nuts only for writing some of this stuff down) 

I didn't have much choice with what has happened over the last couple of weeks ( hysterectomy etc ) and I'm now 9 days post op for what it's worth 

I still feel like me. I have cried allot 

But I mean I've beeen through the mill. I'm

Not sure how things will change in the coming weeks but Im working on a day at a time for now. 

Xx 

• Posted

When  I  wrote  before  about  my  ' Lady  bits',  I  forgot  to  about  to  tell  you  about  my  Son,   who  is  24  years  old.  My  son  and  his  girlfriend  are  going  to  make  me  a  Gran  in  2  weeks  time.  But  I  am  still  thinking   about  the  operation. 

Love  Booty  I.  xx

• Posted

Ah that's wonderful news hopefully all will go well & before U know it you'lol be home playing the dutiful granny 😬

I'm now four weeks passed my op and thankfully I've had no menopausal symptoms- was with gyni last Thursday and he's said if they have not started they probably won't ... but fingers and toes x 

Passed that I'm due for chemo in two weeks .. again its precautionary measures- but 

I'm dreading the thoughts 

Bloody heck non of this crap is easy but we'll keep looking and moving forward 

I hope ur in good spirits today ..

On the positive side the quicker u get that op done the quicker you'll be passed it 

Xxx 

Keep in touch 

• Posted

I found out today I have grade 3 uterine cancer. Dr said the scan will tell him the stage. I am waiting for a week now for the scan. I feel like I have been punched in the stomach. I will have a total hysterectomy with lymph node removal. Has anyone had a grade 3 diagnosis?
    • Posted

Hi Judy.  So sorry you are going through this! I just had surgery 2/28 to remove a tumor from endometrial cancer. So, if you don't mind, I'd like to support you, if I can.  

Is your doctor an oncologist?  I am asking because uterine cancer is initially  diagnosed by means of a biopsy of tissue taken from your womb.

A CT scan can tell generally the location and size of the tumor, but cannot indicate the type of cellular structure or how far it has penetrated the uterine wall.  Only surgery will reveal what's going on. A CT scan can only pick up additional growths elsewhere if they are larger than, say a pencil eraser.  

Uterine cancer is properly typed and staged at the time of removal.  Doctors usually also remove ovaries and tubes at the time of the surgery.  This is because uterine cancer "feeds" on estrogen. So no HRT--if anyone suggests it, run.  

If you're seeing a gp right now, get yourself to an oncologist as soon as you can--especially one who performs their own surgery

Most commonly, an immediate total abdominal hysterectomy (TAH) is done immediately.  Sometimes, doctors try to reduce the size of the tumor before surgery by administering a course of chemo before.  Chemo, though hard to go through, has the advantage of killing off the microscopic cancer cells that may be circulating elsewhere in the body.  I had chemo and then surgery.  

Uterine cancer is scary, but can be usually cured with prompt and thorough treatment.

When I was diagnosed, I was a mess, terrified and crying.  The best thing you can do for yourself right now, in addition to seeking the comfort and assistance of family and friends, is to seek knowledge about this cancer for yourself.  Try the american cancer society web site.  

This is a battle, and you need to be an armed and knowledgeable warrior, so you can work intelligently with your doctor and not treat him or her with blind faith.  You need to know and understand why or why not things get done.  As the fear lessens, you will be better able to do this.

And, one final word.  Don't let ANYONE tell you how to feel about this!  You can fight cancer with your chin up or screaming and crying all the way.  The point is--you will be fighting.  

You're in my prayers. xx   

• Posted

I am seeing a gynecological oncologist. It was diagnosed with a biopsy. I am having a scan on Monday for staging and mapping I understand and surgery on Wednesday. Thank you for your support. I am so scared. I'm doing a lot of praying too.

• Posted

It is good they are moving swiftly, though it's probably happening so fast it's difficult to take it all in.  The scan will help them stage and map, but they won't know exactly what's going on until they perform the surgery and get a look at and biopsy the tissue.  

Get through this however you need to.  I am thinking of and praying for you.  Let me know how it goes.  xx

• Posted

My followup appointment is tomorrow. I will find out what my treatment will be. As all of us I am so scared I have been basically I'll. He gave me 3 options. I pray that it's the lymph nodes were clear. Please continue to pray for me as I will for all of you.

• Posted

Hi Judy,

I am praying for you.  What were the options he gave you (I'm not understanding)?. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.