Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, I have just had my consultant appointment and I have a large polyp in my uterus and he has agreed to let me have a hysterectomy, which he has booked in for the 20th July. It has all come as a bit of a shock as it will be so quick but I am happy with the decision. It will be vaginal and I get to keep my overies.

2 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

  • Posted


    Your posting came into my email.

    I do not usually look on the hysterectomy forum.

    There are times when it is impossible to salvage the womb.

    If it is at all slavable and of course I have no idea of your pain etc it is best to try to keep it.

    The womb helps to stabilise the rest of your organs, and later you may need subsequent operations to keep your bladder and bowel in place.

    All being said any ops are not guaranteed.

    I am looking myself and trying to make a decision myself as I have anal problems however gyni sergery was also recommended as a way forward.

    There are no guarantees with these surgeries.

    The hysterectomy my mother had years ago was fine up to a certain period, then she had problems with a prolapsed bladder.

    May be your polyp can be removed without surgery.

    Foood for thought.

    All the best,


    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi Anna

    I understand that the news is a shock for you.

    Did the consultant give you an indication of the biopsy from the polyp ?

    Depending upon the biopsy result this will give the consultant an informed decision for you regarding the need for hysterectomy.

    I had similar and there was "complex atypical hyperplasia" on the external biopsy.

    I was seen end Feb 2015 and had TAH / BSO end April 2015. This was in consideration of my age 53 years,

    Not sure how old you are ?

    But the post op biopsy of the polyp and uterus showed 1A1 cancer.

    This recent news assured me that having the TAH was the best outcome.

    See your GP and discuss the initial biopsy. Despite the feeling that we are all on an NHS production line (cost effective / radical surgery) the suggested hysterectomy might be a lifesaver ?

    I appreciate that everyone's situations are different depending on age, wanting children etc. Best wishes for a positive outcome and speedy recovery.


    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Hi Deb, sorry I missed your message before. I am only 34 and have not been offered a biopsy, I was offered a removal and sterilisation as I am allergic to all hormonal contraceptives nd believe me when I say I have tried them all, but have opted for hysterectomy. Just a little sooner than I expected but the bleeding it is causing is getting worse each month so the sooner the better. X
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi Anna I have the same thing as you happening to me except I am getting rid of my ovaries coz I am 54.  It has all happened within two weeks as i have pre-cancerous cells in the polyp.  It is all such a shock.  I wish you all the best with your hysterectomy.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Hi Deezy, I am only 34 and haven't been offered a biopsy but have been told it needs removal soon and have opted for hysterectomy. It is a shock because of my age I expected to be turned down but I cannot cope with the bleeding anymore and I think my consultant realised that. Hope it all goes well with you, do you have a date yet? X
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Hia Anna Yes I've got it for the 7th July so its really quick and so scary!   My friend had a hysterectomy for the bleeding and she said it was the best thing she ever did.  You can start to live again!
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up