Hysterectomy

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hiya I have my date for key hole surgery removal off my womb and tubes,my ovaries are staying unless they notice a problem then they will be gone to .unless I decide before hand for them to be taken too.i cannot stop thinking about it,  I have heard off woman being really poorly after especially if ovaries stay ,any advice would be lovely thank you, one side off me says yeah no more periods for me as I have been suffering for so long ,heavy periods so drained all the time ,I had fybroids removed this time last year ,and unfortualty did not work as doctor says they have grown back ,and the other side off me is scared I think do I want to go through this  .? Xx

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Lisa

I to had fibroids which I had removed 3 times unfortunately they grew

back each time causing extremely heavy periods.My last period went

on for 2 months and saw me admitted to hospital as I lost so much blood.

Decided to opt for a hysterectomy as I wanted my life back. I discussed

with my surgeon about leaving my ovaries she felt that as I was only 46 and

that they still had a job to do she would leave them as long as they were

healthy. She also said that by taking the tubes away that the chances of

getting ovarian cancer was very slight.

So glad I kept them as didn't want to have to take hrt and the thought of

dealing with a surgical menopause straight after such a major operation was

too much.

It has been just over a year, feel like a new me. Able to go back to work

full-time after nearly 8 years of heavy bleeding I feel so free.

I was scared of having it done and upset as we had tried for over 20 years

to have children. But so glad I went ahead.

Hope this helps, only you know what is right for you, we are all different .

Good luck x

• Posted

I had a hysterectomy everything went except my ovaries. I decided to keep then BC am not ready for menopause. The only issue is having is due to my cervix being removed. My pelvic wall is very tight and it having serious spasms. This is a great way to find answers there are so many amazing womem ready to help!!! I havens heard any thing negative concerning keeping your ovaries😊 Best of luck my friend
    • Posted

thankyou and and yes I am liking this site too,nice to hear other people's story's off what they have gone through or going to go through certainly helping thank you x
  • Posted

Hi Lisa, I am 14 weeks post op - mine was keyhole.  I am 51, had everything removed and it was the best decision I have ever made - feels like a weight has been lifted.  I don't need HRT at the moment, I am having the same amount of hot flushes as I was prior to op.  I happy with that (my consultant would rather I not have any HRT, as I had acute endometriosis).  I am back working on our farm.  I was in hospital for 1 night and took it easy for 6 weeks.  This group are a great support network and keep you informed. Best of luck x
    • Posted

That is very good ,and I am now seriously thinking having the ovaries removed too ,and maybe even not have h r t myself ,and yes this group is fab thank you x
    • Posted

Hi I had the same op and have enjoyed not having heavy periods and bloating from my fibroids and endometriosis. Unfortunately the menopausal symptoms I have experienced Vaginal Atrophy and Vulvodynia have unexpectedly become a problem where others in my family have sailed through without any symptoms. I would recommend researching all the possibilities as you cant have them back and Hrt also brings concerns with it.

Good Luck which ever you choose

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.