hysterectomy

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ive posted on here before but left for a while because my spelling is so bad and i was embaressed but im really worried and have no one to talk to. I am waiting for a hysterectomy at the moment my appiontment was on the 21st of december to go for the procedure but due to no beds been available it got cancelled and then  got rebooked and cancelled again mid january. Ive alwready had 4 loops and theres nothing left of my cervix. Still showin cinn 111 severe cells but theres too much scar tissue to see were. Im so confused im only 32. And does any one no what happens after the hysterectomy..as in obviously i cant have a smear. Is that it ??? . Like i said im confused any advise would be appriciated xx

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Theres a page called hystersisters and they will tell you. I haven't had a hysterectomy, but i heard its a pain. You will develop back or bowel problems saying it from what I've read. I heard your body also changes. But good thing is you wont get your periods anymore. Did they take biopies? Im kinda worried the reason why you have cin 1 constantly is because sometimes im not trying to scare you adenocarcinoma can just show up as cin and actually be invasive cancer since adenocarcinoma is more up a pap wont catch it as accurately as squamous cells.

• Posted

Please don't let bad spelling stop you from posting here! If anyone cares about that then they're not very nice.

I'm afraid I don't know a huge amount about your situation, but I didn't want to read and run. I imagine during the hysterectomy they're going to remove everything? Cervix, womb, and ovaries?

Once they've done so, they'll probably analyse all of the tissue to make sure there aren't any cancerous cells. Hopefully there aren't, and it's just the pre-cancerous cells that you already know about.

I imagine they've taken the measure of a complete hysterectomy because they haven't had much success eliminating the abnormal cells with other methods. So this is their last resort to solve your problem. With everything gone, you will of course no longer be at risk of cervical, uterine or ovarian cancer!

Rarely, the HPV virus can cause vaginal cancer. They might want to continue to take swabs or biopsies from your vagina for a while to make sure there are no pre-cancerous changes or signs of HPV.

But the best people to ask about all of this are your doctors! They should be able to explain everything about the procedure and follow up and answer any questions. Please do speak to them.

• Posted

It's really good that you've been going for smears and follow up treatments. You would be in a worse situation if you hadn't done that. It's very unlucky that some of us get cervical abnormalities/cancers. Lots of women have hysterectomies, for various reasons, then just carrry on much as ever. At the moment a lot of what you're feeling is fear of the unknown. No two women will have exactly the same experience so

we have to try and take things as they come. Are you having an abdominal hysterectomy (cut across tummy) or laparoscopic hysterectomy (keyhole surgery)? I've had a radical hysterectomy by keyhole surgery for squamous cell cervical cancer. I think your experience will be more straight forward than mine. I got behind with my smears and my diagnosis turned out to be advanced stage 2 cancer which meant my hysterectomy was more involved than yours is likely to be. Hope this helps a bit.

• Posted

How were you diagnosed if you dont mind me asking did you have symptoms?
    • Posted

I was diagnosed following symptoms. The 1st obvious symptom was a persistent non itchy watery yellow discharge. About 4-5 months later I experienced a vaginal bleed just like a period: definitely wrong as I was 60y old (61y now) and well past menopause. I was diagnosed a month after the first bleed. It's possible I had symptoms before the 1st discharge. For possibly a few years I used to get a fleeting twinge during urination. I just put it down to an irritable bladder and me getting older so ignored it. No two women will have the same experience so it's good to be familiar with the range of likely symptoms (homework?). My 1st discharge was about 12y after my last smear (normal result), I've never been informed about my hpv status.

• Posted

What do you mean yellow discharge? When i wipe sometimes itd yellow but i thought it was becauss my pee color
  • Posted

I've just had the all clear (yesterday), severe high grade.

Not sure if this is allowed to post here but I joined "Jo's Cervical Cancer Trust". It gives information from smears, Colposcopies and cancer. There's a forum too.

I wish you all the best.

• Posted

What has the surgeon discussed with you about your ovaries?

• Posted

Hi Jane thankyou  for replying . I didnt have any  symptoms at all. I only went because my friend mentiond it and having 2 children i agreed n she came with me. ( true friend). Also they have agreed to keep my ovaries as not to send me into early menaporse. Still waiting for a date to get the op now it has been cancelled 3 times now. Sorry to here about ur experiance Jane i hope ur well and thanku for replying .you have obviusly had it hard and u give me hope xxxx
    • Posted

Hi jj1234 thank you for your reply. I am passionate that women need more support in attending for their smear tests. In the UK 1 in 4 women don't get them done for a variety of reasons which means that most women who do get their smears done will have friends, relations, colleagues who are not going. A very effective way of improving on this situation is for women to support other women by reminding and encouraging them to go. Your 'true friend' is a shining example: 'very well done' to that lady. Sorry to hear about all the cancellations: to look on the bright side I guess it means the medical team don't think your case is urgent (unfortunately mine was).

All the best x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.