Hysterectomy

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi im waiting for date to have hysterectomy and so scared i keep telling myself i be fine need to have it done but have heard some bad and scary things about afterwards can anyone tell me what they went through straight after surgery etc

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, I was terrified as well, I also suffer with agoraphobia so going to the hospital was going to be a nightmare for me, I kept telling myself I didn't really need this op even though I had almost bled to death :0), anyway I went in at midday and had my op at 4.30, I had an epidural for pain relief beforehand and when I came around after my op I was offered more pain relief in the form of paracetamol and ibuprofen, however I never needed any further pain relief, the only thing that caused me a bit of discomfort and I think many women experience the same, is the wind pain and constipation, I ate quite a lot of prunes to help with the latter, and the former well I walked the dogs and blamed them for any weird noises, LOL. My op was laparoscopically assisted vaginal hysterectomy and bi lateral salpingo oopherectomy, how are you having yours done? All in all my experience was a very good one, the only other thing I suffered was a panic attack when my poor hubby picked me up to take me home 3 days later.

Phoebe

• Posted

Hi Carol, I had a total abdominal hysterectomy 2 days ago and have been discharged hone today. I'm uncomfortable, but it is honestly manageable at the moment and I am a massive wimp! It's very early days in my recovery, but I am relieved that the surgery is over, as it had to be done. I was extremely worried about the surgery, but it was OK.

• Posted

I'm doing OK thank you. It's day 4 and I'm managing to shower, mooch about a little bit at home. I'm definitely not feeling able to venture out for a walk yet, but will get there. I had a total abdominal hysterectomy (horizontal incision) and it's the incision that causes most discomfort, but only when I go from laying down to standing up. I have quite a bit of bruising developing, but all part of the healing process. I am aware that it's early days, but I determined to listen to my body and go at my own pace, which is the advice I'd offer to anyone else. Other people may be able to do more, but you must go at your own pace. Hope you're OK and the forums are helping alleviate some of your anxieties x

• Posted

dod you have severe heart burn and trouble going toilet been told the heart burn is awful

• Posted

Hi Carole, I didn't have any heart burn but i did suffer badly with trapped wind, luckily from previous operations i took some peppermint tea bags in with me, they do really help. The nurse can also give you some peppermint water which is also good. If i had thought on i would of taken some lactulose a week before my op, as I did struggle going the loo, I'm only just starting to go normally 4 weeks on. Just remember its a few weeks of being uncomfortable but a future with no more periods. The other tip that helped me through was my hubby just taking me for a drive once i started to climb the walls with boredom, just to see the outside world helped me no end. Good luck

• Posted

hi carole, im 4 weeks post op, as long as you do as advised you'll be fine. It is a big op, but theres no reason to be in pain. Accept any help thats offered. I used a hot water bottle which i found helped a lot. My husband now knows which one the washer is, and also how to use the iron. I've decided to milk it for a bit longer. I raised a glass to my uterus told it i beat it.

• Posted

thankyou you read bad things and i suffer with severe anxiety etc and finding it very hard to be strong and keep telling myself it needs to be done got my pre -op january hope things are going good for you to x

• Posted

Hi Carole, you'll be absolutely fine, most people worry about having a OP, I got to the point i couldn't wait to get it over with. I had the usual worries what i if don't wake up, then realised i wont know if i don't. Tell the hospital when you go for your pre op that your anxious, and they can give you something to calm you. Ive been away for the weekend to see my daughter in uni, I can honestly tell you i feel almost back to my usual self ( i'm not telling hubby though) Be positive you can do this. Big hugs

• Posted

hi Carol:

i know how you feel and almost all of is scared with the procedure. the only one with me was my prayer 22 months ago. do not worry so much, you will be fine and i hope to see your message sgain.

delia

• Posted

thankyou i suffer with severe anxiety and trying to be strong x

• Posted

hi carol: Anxiety and panic attack are devastating which i also had but its all in the mind. i have the mindshift app and its helping. Stay strong dear.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.