Hysterectomy advice on recovery and travel

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi!

Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice! I am waiting for a full hysterectomy - and waiting times being as they are - it will probably be in about 12 weeks - this will take me to mid April. I have a holiday booked for mid June - but it would mean a 7 hour car journey from home to go there. I am thinking this will be too soon - I am a good healer - but I know this is a major op - and have been told because of the size of my uterus and fibriods attached that I will be having an abdominal cut. Should I cancel my holiday now - or chance that i might be alright? 

Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi glennis Iam waiting also for the same op Iam having a two way cut iv been told my op going to be a very hard op as so messed up in side I've in Norwich Iam on a quick list to be done and Iam on a 40 week waiting list at the mo Iam week 19 Iam due to go on holiday July a broad so don't think I will be going as it works out to be June hope you get sorted out soon

• Posted

Hi Annie,

My op date was just a 'guesstimate' by my consultant, so I could still be waiting yet! I had an operation 2 years ago for something totally different - and from being told I was on the list to the operation was roughly about 16 weeks - and it was not a major op (was to me though!!!). 

• Posted

I just wish I was having the op done sooner rather than later it just the waiting everything's on hold at mo but I understand there's a lot of ladies in the same boat and more urgent people also

• Posted

I am not sure where I am on urgency! I know there will be others who need the op before me - I just have super large fibriods sitting on my bowel - so I will probably have to wait a while! 
  • Posted

I went on a coach holiday 9 weeks after TAH.I know this is different because i wasn't driving.I was anxious because of all the sitting around and getting on and off the coach.It was a long journey as i went to Germany but i was fine.With driving you have to be able to do an emergency stop ok which is normally after anout 6 weeks.I personally would say it is too early to drive that far so soon.

Take care.

• Posted

Hi Teresa,

Thanks for your advice - ended up having a long chat with my hubby and we decided to cancel, also gave the place we were going to stay the chance to get a booking again. I am in limbo - as I haven't got a clue when my operation will be - but I do know I really need it - so no plans to be spoiled now - but have booked off time for later in the year, hopeful then to get away.

• Posted

Hi, I am 4 weeks post op. I had a total abdominal hysterectomy. It is a very long and tiring recovery. I am shattered most days, mentally and physically. Cooking a simple meal and washing up after wears me out. I find sitting in a car as a passenger very uncomfortable, even for short trips. I would strongly advise you not to be planning long car trips as a passenger or as a driver. Your back, sides and belly will still be sore and internal healing means that you need to be comfy. Also even at 4 weeks post op, I can not wear jeans and all of my trousers etc are way too tight on my healing wound. Basically be will living in pjs and trackie bottoms for at least another 4 weeks!! I too am a good healer, was fit before op etc. It is a major major op. Good luck with your surgery.
    • Posted

Thanks Jane, I did cancel my holiday in the end - and we are looking at having a break in November instead. I have a pre-op date in March - so at least thats something. I'm not booking anything until I have my op - and I know how wiped out you can get with surgery - past experience! I haven't been able to wear anything tight for quite sometime now - was thinking I might get myself some nice loose dresses for lounging about in.  Thank you for your good advice and I hope you continue to get better quickly!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.