Hysterectomy after cervix removal

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi! I'm 36 and was dignosed with cervical cancer in early stage. I had my cervix removed 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately, the doctor said that the womb has to be removed as well for safety reasons. He also said that he would perform an abdominal hysterectomy because laparoscopic intervention is not possible since the cervix was removed

I would like to know if anyone here experienced something similar. I wasn't told that until now that removing the cervix would make impossible the laparoscopic intervention. And I am really afraid and unprepared for this new surgery.

Thank you

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cris,

I've not heard of a cervix being removed without the womb - so I can't help - but I have had a total abdominal hysterectomy with ovary removal in the last 4 weeks. My cervix was taken away at the same time - although my reason for hysterectomy was I had a very large fibroid. It's a major surgery - but I was up and about within 24 hours - had dissolving stitches and they did a bikini cut on me - so there's nothing much to see. I'm not a doctor - but they must have reasons why they have to do your operation this way. I hope all goes well for you - let me know how you get on - and good luck!!!

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Glennie. The only explanation I got was that they could not technically perform the intervention laparoscopic. Because there is no cervix, the equipment can't be anchored. Doesn't make much sense to me, so I'll ask for another opinion and also for further explanations from the surgeon who did the intervention. I just feel it's so unfair especially because I wasn't told so from the very beginning. I would have taken another decision for sure 😔

• Posted

Cris, I am so sorry that this is happening to you!  I am wondering if you have gone for a second opinion to another surgeon/oncologist?  

Please let me know what you decide to do, and how you get on.xx

• Posted

Thank you for your message Lynda. I will ask for a second opinion. Maybe there is a solution. I just don't want to have an abdominal hysterectomy not only because I am not prepare (and I feel as if I was lied to and somebody played with me), but also because I was told that I had to do it out of precaution. So far there is no sign that the womb has been touched by cancer; there is however a risk that some cancerous cells got there and might develop into cancer later

• Posted

I am wondering if they removed your cervix and closed off the top of your vagina, which would make accessing your uterus via your vagina difficult. That's the way hysterectomies are usually performed.

Your doctor owes you a full explanation of what occurred.  And, you can tell him/her the same thing you told us, that you believe you weren't told the truth, and that this second surgery is to resolve an error in treatment that they made.    

• Posted

Thank you Lynda. This is useful to have as a question on my list; I will call the hospital tomorrow and ask for more details.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.