hysterectomy and anterior and posterior repair

Posted , 29 users are following.

I am 3 weeks and 4 days post op and was wondering how long does the bottom continue to be sore. I have been having alot of lower back pain also and didn't know if this is normal. The days I am up on my feet alot and being more active it hurts alot more. I can't just sit down all the time. I do things in the house but no lifting more than I was told. I think if I would have known this long a recovery I don't think I would have had surgery. Anyone who has had this surgery I would appreciate your feedback.

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

It does get better ! I too went through the very emotional stage of wishing I hadn't had the surgery but I am now 10 weeks and am glad I had it done. I am still having issues with BMs but I am confident that will sort soon too. Stay strong ladies !! X
  • Posted

Hi Jackie

I'm 4 weeks post anterior and posterior repair and sling, I'm still feeling tired and sore and it is very hard for me to sit around and do nothing, I've had three visits back to my dr to stretch the sling as I can't empty my bladder at night/ during the night, I'm self catherising morning and night, seems to empty a bit better every time it's stretched but it hurts terribly, don't want to have it stretched again, but have to ring my dr with residual results today and I'm dreading him saying I've got to have it stretched again, at the moment I'm having 8 weeks off work but not sure if I need more as I do a manual handling job and don't want to jepordise my recovery

• Posted

Jackie, if you go to the top of this page and click on Genitourinary Prolapse it should take you to  an info page if you browse around a bit. Also, if you don't get any more replies, as this is an old post, try starting your own discussion. (Bottom right) after this post. I'm sorry you have all these problems but if Matron sees your query I think she'll come on and answer you. Eight weeks is probably too early to return to work with the problems you have however. I've been told three months to recovery and may be longer, we're all different in the time we heal. Hope you find some more answers. Best wishes, Poll. x rolleyes

• Posted

Jackie, look at Useful Resources fom Emis Moderator, lots of stuff to read there which will help. x smile

• Posted

I had my surgery on the 19th, so I'm only three days out. I've never felt this kind of pain before in my life. I was taking two pain pills at a time in the hospital, but they sent me home with only one pill every four hours. I also had a bladder sling and a sacral ligament tether put in to hold my pelvic floor up. I have only been able to urinate twice on my own, the other times I've had to cath myself. I'm feeling super frustrated and overwhelmed right now. And extremely painful. Any helpful advice is welcome. The pain in my right 'cheek' is excruciating.

• Posted

Hello jackie. So sorry to read you're in so much pain but I and many of the other ladies on this forum know exactly what you're going through. You obviously need your pain medication increasing so can you speak to your GP or leave a message for him/her? Pain only hinders recovery so that is really important. The pain in your right cheek is only to be expected so you must rest completely for the next couple of weeks with a short walk every hour. The reason why you're struggling to urinate is probably because your bladder and or urethra is inflamed but that will get better in time. A lot of ladies have to self catheterise unfortunately. Look at the Genitourinary home page, the section titled Useful Resources contains lots of good up to date information that's been researched. The South Tees Information that I was involved with gives good down to earth information for the next few months. x

• Posted

Hi Jackie

I had tubes removed, a&p vaginal repair, uterine lift and sling 5 weeks ago. For me there was a really big turning point at about the 4 week mark. I have since had my post-op appointment and I have been cleared to go back to any activities I like, as long as I don't experience too much pain.

I had that pain in my bottom too and found that keeping on top of pain relief really helped. I know you probably don't want to hear this, but keep resting and listen to your body, you will turn a corner soon!

Best of luck and Merry Christmas

• Posted

I too, am wondering what pain is normal. I am 11 days out from vaginal hysterectomy with anterior and posterior repair. I have had constant pain in the three areas: urethra and bladder neck (the water balloon on the end of the catheter was brutally painful), the left peri-anal area, and my left hip flexor area. The latter pain spreads down into my left thigh- has anyone else had this last one?
  • Posted

Hi there. I had a vaginal hysterectomy with rectocele and endocele a week ago

All I am feeling is the repair. It's brutal.

I did walk the few first days but if a stand for too long I feel such pressure on the stiches. I am scared to mess everything up.

• Posted

Hello

I had the same up 2 weeks ago. Very frustrating in not being able to do more. Are you ok now?

• Posted

Hi!   I had Laparoscopic Robotic Hyster & Anterior bladder repair on Dec. 29th....almost 2 1/2 weeks ago.  Im 63yrs old.  The Lap Hyster really wasnt too bad...currently abd. a little sore and have to be careful not to strain/lift much but the bladder reapair done vaginally is more my issue. I feel a "pulling" sensation up in the vagina. Im hoping its just the healing process. Also sort of a burning feeling in same area & rectally, not severe but is definitely there.    Also I get tired so much more quickly than before. Which is hard since Im used to not sitting down much. Surprisingly my surgeon did not give alot of advice on how I would feel post op.  I have had hardly any bleeding but just a very slight discharge which does have a different smell to it.  Not a terrible smell but different. The thought has crossed my mind of a possible yeast infection but then I think maybe Im crazy!  Its hard when you arent sure what to expect.  Do others have similar sypmtoms post op?

• Posted

Hi, 

I had a vaginal hysterectomy and anterior and postierier repair st the end of October, my surgeon made it very clear that it is important to keep on top of pain relief which I did as I felt in too much pain without. I slept a lot and he also told me to take movicol to help with bowl movement which worked wonders as I bled quite a lot in surgery and afterwards so less pressure down there the better!!

I’m 12 weeks on now and feeling much better although I get tired still and I can’t exercise to my normal level as I have leaking urine! Great !!

My discharge smelled different too but then went to being normal. I lifted nothing more than a cup and light kettle for weeks and standing or sitting was too painful.. keep taking the meds and rest, I’m walking and doing some yoga now so hopefully all good, good luck!

• Posted

Glad to hear youre feeling alot better!  Yes this does take longer than I thought....and Im only 2 1/2 weeks.  I didnt take much for pain. I actually felt I couldve but was so afraid of constipation issues.  I starting taking Miralax which helped that. Im hoping the slight smell of discharge (which is really hardly any)  will go away.  It just makes one concerned that there could be an infection going on.  My back still hurts alot and feels weak...which I imagine could be from the surgery positioning.  I thought id be zooming around by now but I still have to take it easy & take a rest.  Im cleaning, cooking etc. just not lifting & then go lay down a while when I feel real tired.  I only work 2 days a week so Im not sure when Ill go back.  Its a shame that alot of us really didnt seem to be well informed of how the recovery would be.     Thanks for your input!

• Posted

Hi. Have just read your forums for anterior/posterior repair. I am due to have these done in June but am feeling apprehensive now after reading so many negative responses with pain.
    • Posted

I'm 65 and had a posterior and anterior + 3 cystocele repair 16 days ago. I was a model patient and was discharged after 24 hours! After the first 48 hours I've had no pain at all, just discomfort from the stitches tweaking a bit. I do get tired if I do more than the minimum, but really it's not so bad! I can sit in reasonable comfort now, and I'm cooking etc but not lifting anything heavier than a tin of beans!

I also have an odd smelling discharge which I assume is related to the oestrogen cream I have been diagnosed, but maybe it's normal?

I'm taking Macrogol (Movicol) before bedtime until I'm completely healed so there's no danger of having to strain. All in all, I'm delighted (so far!) with the op and enjoying not feeling so 'bulgy' anymore! Don't worry about it, you'll be fine I'm sure.

• Posted

Youll be fine.  After youre healed you will be so happy you did it.  My surgery was Dec. 29th..I had total Hysterectomy with anterior cystocele repair, no posterior.  My hyster wasnt too bad but there was quite a bit of a pressure feeling from the cyctocele repair.  It lasted about 3 or more weeks but now I hardly remember it.  All I know is that have that constant pressure in the vag & rectum from by bladder being dropped.  I never lost urine with mine tho.  I do still have a very scant amount of drainage tho...its not much at all but but is there & it does have a slight smell.  Not sure why that is.....when i go for my yearly check up in July I will definitely ask.  I am glad I did it now. Also I did have a very tough time voiding after surgery until the next day.  They discharged me the same night as my surgery & i only dribbled a wee little urine so I dont think I should have been discharged.    Good luck to you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.