Hysterectomy and bladder Repair

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I am booked to go in on the 12th December for a Hsterectomy and Bladder repair. Of course i am scared. Ive brought myself some nighties, and new undies, is there any other things you might have taken that where helpfull.

will of course let you know how i get on. I think this forum will be my guardian angel once im out,

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Just the usual, toiletries; towels, slippers, gown, pads, toothpaste & brush, hairbrush, shower gel, face soap and magazines.

I would also organise everything at home so everything is near to hand.

Lots of books to read, fav... DVDS, basket of essentials you will use throughout the day. Organise a comfy corner, with quilt, throw, cushions. Lots of nice candles.

Maybe try get all your gift wrapping/card writing for xmas done before you go in as if will be uncomfortable to sit for hours in the weeks after your repair.

Let us all know how you get on,

Take care,

Phyl x

• Posted

Hi

Take some baby wipes just to freshen up - after the op you will be very tired and the baby wipes will help you feel a bit fresher and ready for visitors. I got a wash from the nurses the next day as I had a catheter - so don’t forget a flannel too! Then you can probably shower on day 2 when the catheter comes out if you feel strong enough. I’m 9 day’s post op and came home on 2nd day so waited til I was home to shower so the baby wipes & flannel were a god send!!! Good luck. 

I also took my iPad and downloaded some easy watching programmes to doze off to!!

M

• Posted

We are all anxious before our surgery but I’m sure all will be fine. I hope you have support for when you get home.

The basics have been covered already but what I find really helpful is a helping hand grabber. I’m always dropping things and can pick them up easily. Put things you will need regularly in the kitchen in a level space so you don’t have to lift or over reach.

I prepared some meals and soup for my freezer to make meals easy. I also bought a cheap hospital style table  from amazon which has also been really handy as I can’t sit at the table yet so semi recumbent in bed is the easiest way with the table.

Good luck and let us know how you get on 😊

• Posted

Hi, I’m due to go in on 13th Dec for anterior and posterior repair with suburethral sling (mesh eeek! I hope the mesh will be ok after as you hear such conflicting information about it) 

at my pre-op assessment the said to stock up on ibuprofen and paracetamol for afterwards.

i think I’ll be taking my iPad too as well as the other stuff everyone else has said about 

good luck with yours osborne19842

• Posted

I had urinary incontinence but chose not to get the sling because im afraid of using mesh... the only repair i had done was posterior with a slight perineal rebuilding and i havent had any leakage since my surgery 3 weeks ago. My swellings gone done completely so i know its not just because of that. I know im writing just before your procedure but just letting you know your posterior repair may fix this problem for you
    • Posted

Hi jenex, I hope you’re feeling ok.

i had my surgery 5 days ago on the 13th Dec. I had the entrocele and cystocele repair with the sling (tat mesh) stitched to the sacrospinous ligament in my right butt.

the pain from my right butt is horrendous and I cannot sit on it,  I am hoping that this will improve after a few weeks. I haven’t had a BM yet and am dreading it when it does happen.

i am taking co-codamol and ibuprofen for the pain but the co-codamol are supposed to constipate you so I will ask my doctor if there is a strong painkiller I can have which doesn’t constipate you. 

Take care x 

• Posted

Hi osborne19842 I just wanted to say good luck with everything tomorrow, i’m going in the day after you.  I’m sure we will be fine.  Take care 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.