hysterectomy and RA

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all.  I am due to have a hysterectomy in the next couple of months and wonder whether this will make my RA worse?  Have any of you had this and found it worsened your symptoms or left you immobile for longer than the usual time they reckon for a hysterectomy?  My gynae said he is really reluctant to do it cos of the RA, but it needs to be done or I will never get rid of the pain that comes with having problems in my uterus and ovaries.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.TIA xx

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi l would suggest having a word with your Rheumatologist. Sorry can't be any more help. Hope everything goes well for you. Wendy 
  • Posted

I didn't put a link but it is being moderated anyway!

http://www.nras.org.uk

So, here's the link

• Posted

Hi mrsmop,

It went for moderation because you posted the email address. If you want to refer users to NRAS there is a link to them in the right sidebar on every discussion within the RA group as can be seen in this discussion.

Regards,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Sandi, the *endo or whatever you have must have been that bad if you decided to go for it. :-( sorry to hear about that. I chose not even to have a laparoscopy but to go for a hormonal treatment instead. It did make me feeling worse RA-related but as it solved approximately the problem, so I am continuing with it. There is a number of questions to address - how long before the operation will you need to stop your meds (in case of biological I think it's 2-3 months. Don't know about the others). This alone can make you feel worse. Hormonal changes following the operation can make it worse but on the other hand, it can make things better, similarly as pregnancy can reduce RA or enchance it - very much depending on your body and specific problem. Your age is also a parameter - pre/post menophasis that will affect your hormonal cycle... Please consult your rheumy for the consequences. Sorry I could not help more.
  • Posted

Hi, yes, this is a dangerous surgery, with high risks for those who have RA, and have compromised immune systems.  If you are on prednisone, or a biologic injection R.A. drug, you must absolutely stop these drugs, 2 weeks, before any surgical procedure.. this is very critical.  I'm guessing your doctor has already given you this crutial information.  

The risks for surgery, especially something is extensive and internal, has high risks for infection, which your body must be able to fight.  Infection leads to sepsis, which can be fatal. Can you tell us what specific problems you are having with your ovaries and uterous?  Are they simply needing to be lifted?  What medications are you currently taking, and how is your RA condition at this time? Have you had blood  labs done, to see where your body is, in terms of inflammation?  Honestly, I am very concerned for you.  Can you have a second opinion?  I believe a second opinion is extremely important for you, given the nature of this and your life.  

• Posted

I am not sure what to tell you other than I would recommend you to get a full hysterectomy if you have endometriosis. I had a partial, keeping an ovary, and my endometriosis grew back within 3 years and it's extremely painful. My doctor didn't tell me it would come back by keeping an ovary, he just didn't want to do a full one because of my age. I am sure it grew back faster than a person without RA. I missed a week if work, it took me a month to fully heel from the surgery.
  • Posted

hi and thanks for all your replies. Sorry I have taken so long in getting back on here, I do not get emails anymore about replies so didn't know there were any till I just checked.  My RA is early, so I am only taking hydroxychloroquine and celecoxib along with pain relief (co codamol, tramadol, oramorph).  I have a large fibroid and possibly endimetriosis in the womb lining and have been on GNRH injections for last two months.  I saw the gynae yesterday and was told that I can have a few more injections and wait another few months, as I am just not certain, but the injections have certainly helped with the pain, which indicates that I do need a hysterectomy. It would be a full one, including both ovaries.  My main concern is that I am not absorbing vitamin D so my bones may be suffering already as a consequence to calcium having to be drawn from them, rather than made from the vitamin D,so with the GNRH and then surgery I could be in real danger of suffering osteoporosis pretty soon afterwards.  The gynae was not concerned, however, when I mentioned this worry,but further reading on the injections does rather scare me.

Well, I have another 3 months now in which to decide so that is good.  It is such a hard decision.  My uterus has caused problems for years, I just want rid, but so worried that I may be worse with other problems. I will do my tarot cards! lol 

Thanks everyone x

• Posted

Have you spoken to your Rheumatologist?  S/he would be able to advise you regarding the RA side of things.

Good luck with the op when it comes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.