Hysterectomy/anterior/posterior repair/vaginal vault suspension

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello all. I'm 38yrs old, had my surgery the day before my birthday which made me 37 at the time. Today makes 1 week since my surgery (hysterectomy kept ovaries/ cystocele/enterocele/rectocele/vaginal vault suspension) everything was done vaginally. The recovery is dreadful! I no longer look forward to sleeping, it's as if my pain intensifies when I'm laying down. I have this horrible lower back pain that at times travels down my thigh, the cramps I get when I have a BM are dreadful. I'm constantly urinating which causes me to keep getting up, I have a super tight area in my girl parts that hurts to touch. I knew the recovery wasn't going to be easy but I didn't think it would be this bad. Sometimes I just breakdown and cry because I'm desperate for relief. Can anyone please offer any advice on how to manage this pain, I just want to start feeling comfortable again. I being active, I miss working, I miss my old self.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jessie

I can only imagine the pain you are in , I had my surgery done on two separate occasions firstly tah with ooperectomy in Aug 15 followed by a rectocele in Nov 16 my consultant wouldn't perform all in one go as there were two different methods of approach. The worst of the two too deal with was most definetly the rectocele .....never before had I felt so much pain...it's very early days but stick with it u will come out the other side. Remember to keep teeing pain killers and rest as much as possible . Good luck xxxxx

• Posted

Thank you so much for responding! I'm trying to rest but it's hard because it seems when I'm laying down resting that's when my pain gets worse. I know eventually things will start to get better, I just hope it's soon. I hope you're feeling better ??

• Posted

Hi Jessie, I'm 7 weeks post op and there is a light at the end of the tunnel but you must rest all the time. Our bodies are in shock after the surgery and that's normal. On this forum you will find many answers to your questions and great support.The first 2 weeks were really hard for me to and then slowly but surely things get better and start healing. You are young and full of energy but you have to give yourself time, at this stage it's precious to be patient. Good luck and be well.

• Posted

Thank you for responding. I'm trying to be as patience as I can be. Prior to my surgery I did a lot of research and I knew the recovery wouldn't be easy, I just didn't think it would be this difficult either. I pray for healing and lots of patience and I can't wait until the day I start to feel better. Thank you tam26. Glad to know you're doing well ??

• Posted

You've had about 3 major surgeries in one Jessie so what you describe is normal. 20 years ago you would still be in hospital receiving strong pain relief. What medication are you taking then I'll give you some more advice?

• Posted

Thank you fir responding Matron. As of right now I'm taking percocets but that doesn't seem to be helping much. At times I've had to take up 3 to 4 pills just to feel relief and the relief is only temporary. I'm also taking ibuprofen 800mg, stool softener, gas x and relying on my heating pad.

• Posted

Percocet is quite a strong painkiller but it may work better if you take it with Paracetamol. You can even take Paracetamol with the ibuprofen. Doctors and pharmacists say most pain  medication works much better with Paracetamol so it may be worth trying to see if that will help. Make sure you take the medication regularly and don't wait until the pain is at it's worst. 

• Posted

Hang in there! I am 40 and had a TVH and kept booths ovaries. I also had rectocele, enterocele and a few other repairs as well. I am 5 1/2 weeks post op. I had to come home with a catheter for a week and it was hell. The first week and half were the worst for me. I had issues with my bowels sorting themselves out so I chose not to take the pain meds in fear it would constipate me more. Stool softeners did not work for me, they made me more bloated and full of gas. I used prune juice until I read that 100% pear juice helped with digestion. It has to be 100% juice or nectar though. One glass a day for two days helped me. I had horrible gas pains that felt like contractions! Week two I started to feel better but then by the end of the week my perenium stiches started to hurt. I didn't realize I would basically be cut from one end to the other and have all those stitches as well. I patted dry with flushable wipes and used a hair dryer to dry those parts so they didn't become chaffed. Which happened before I used the hair dryer and the recommendation of my DR. Week 3 was better and I started to notice more discharge which is completely normal. Take it day to day, I too had many break downs and I'm sure my husband thought I was nuts! Don't do too much too soon. I am just now starting to do some dishes and fold clothes. Still no lifting and take breaks to get off my feet. It seemed that once I would get over one hurdle, another one started. At week 4 I got the flu for two days and had bad, bad diarrhea and was throwing up. That sent my bowels and digestion into chaos again. Back to the pear juice, which helped again. This brings me to week 5. More discharge that is milky looking...this freaked me out and I went to see the my Dr. She said everything looks good and the discharge is from the stitches starting to dissolve. My perenium is sore again and feels right. This is due to the stiches dissolving and everything healing. I try not to sit or stand for long periods and mix it up. There is no way that sex will be possible at 6 weeks post op. I'm thinking more like 12 weeks!! Just take it slow and easy. It really does get better each week and I would say to expect some set backs each week. I thought people were crazy when they take me it does get better, but it is true!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.