Hysterectomy at 44

Posted , 12 users are following.

I am scheduled to have a hysterectomy in a month.  Can't decide if I should remove ovaries.  I'm age 44 so I have quite a few years left before menapause, but I'm concerned about ovarian cancer as it runs in my family.  The hysterectomy is being performed by my ob.  I have very large fibroids causing horrible bleeding and pain, a polyp and an ovarian cyst that was biopsied two years ago and was benign.  My CA-125 is slightly elevated and has been for years.  Keep or get rid of my ovaries?

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello everyone,

Upon reading your discussions it is clear there are some disagreements. Here is what our Clinical Director had to say on the issue:

The NICE guidelines on HRT and menopause (hyperlink to https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng23) refer to an increased risk of breast cancer for some women taking HRT, but not to an increased risk of ovarian cancer. However, a review of studies involving 21,488 women (hyperlink to

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736%2814%2961687-1/abstract) examined the risk of ovarian cancer. It found the following

1) Use of HRT (both oestrogen only and combined oestrogen-progesterone) was associated with an increased risk of ovarian cancer

2) The risk decreased after stopping HRT but remained higher than for women who had never used HRT for at least 5 years

3) In real terms, the increased risk of ovarian cancer was small. The researchers estimated that the 'absolute increased risk'  of getting ovarian cancer was about 1 in 1,000 and the 'absolute increased risk' of dying from it was about 1 in 1700. In other words,  for every 1000 women who uses HRT for 5 years from about the age of 50, one would get ovarian cancer who wouldn't have had it otherwise.

• Posted

Hi, it's only my personal opinion but as it runs in your family and if it were me I would have them removed, early menopause would be better than ovarian cancer,  also as you have already had an ovarian cyst even though it was benign, to me could be a red flag. Just my personal opinion though as ultimately it is your decision, what advice has your ob given you?

• Posted

Dear Nicole

I agree with Phoebe.  Since ovarian cancer runs in your family, it's not worth the risk of holding on to them.  Ovarian cancer is very difficult to diagnose and then when it is it's often too late.  Your CA-125 is already elevated and you would constantly be watching this.  I am surprised that your gynaecologist hasn't recommended removing the ovaries.

If going into early menopause is your concern, discuss going on HRT.  I had hysterectomy and removal of ovaries in May and continued on oestrogen HRT, dropped the progesterone.  I had no changes or problems.  That would be preferred route.  The reason for my hysterectomy was increasing lining of the endometrium but there were also ovarian cysts which proved not to be cancerous.  However, the full op means no more fear of (1) endometrial cancer (2) tubal cancer (3) cervical cancer (4) ovarian cancer - such a bonus.  

All the best with your decision.  Cheers Lyn

• Posted

Hi nicole hope u are well 😊 im 44 to and i had mine removed as they can course problems in the future. It did put me straight in the menopause but i went straight on hrt which as made me feel great .im 7 weeks post op bk at work and doing mostly everything now.good luck in what ever you decide hun x

• Posted

Hi I am the same age and had my hysterectomy in May. I kept my ovaries. X
    • Posted

Hi Karmaway

I wonder what your reasons were for retaining ovaries and if this was the advice you were given or personal choice?  Do you take HRT?  Cheers Lyn

• Posted

Hi Lyn, it was an option and I decided to keep them. I didn’t want to have an early menopause. They went in to shock the poor buggers for the first 7 mths and I had a mini menopause-migraines/mood swings etc but all good now and I feel great! I don’t need HRT I had my hormones checked recently. No ovarian cancer in my family. Mother had fibroids like me and had the whole lot whipped out. I think it’s down to personal choice really, Gynae advice and medical reasons ❤️
  • Posted

Could consider leaving the ovary that has not had a cyst. My impression - risk of ovarian cancer reduced when uterus and tubes removed and still slim risk of ovarian cancer with ovaries removed. Ovaries provide protection against many other things even after menopause. I just researched this because I had hysterectomy in December at age 54 - family history of oc but ovaries looked good so I opted to keep them. Unfortunately, there are not always clear answers. Good luck.

• Posted

I had hysterectomy in April 2015 and decided to keep my ovaries because I was 45 with a history of heart disease on both sides of the family. In December 2017 I was hospitalized with severe pain. After testing found out I had large mass on one ovary and smaller mass on other. Now I’m scheduled for emergency surgery next week as both ovaries have to come out not knowing what outcome will be. I wish I would have had them removed back in 2015. I’m not sure which path I will follow being put into surgical menopause but anything is better than all this worry. Take your time to make your decision. If you were my sister with an elevated 125 I would definitely beg you to remove them. I wish you good luck and am sending you some helpful vibes!
  • Posted

Hi Nicole

i am 43 and had a full abdominal hysterectomy in July, my surgeon gave me the option removing my ovaries and cervix to illuminate the risk of cancer.  I have no family history of cancers, but felt it was not worth taking the risk. 

I also started HRT the same week as having my operation so my body did not miss the hormones, I have had no adverse affects and I am glad I took this route.

i hope this helps xx

• Posted

There seems to be a lot of ganging up on these forums, liking other people’s comments and questioning people’s decidions. Let’s remember we are all equal in this and allowed to make whatever decision we wish and not be judged for it or being made to feel scared that you may get cancer. A professional is the only person that can give medical facts in this ♥️.
    • Posted

I dont see any ganging up on anyone, perhaps you see something I don't, I only see open honest personal experiences, some of us did have cancer and are very thankful that everything was removed I know I am

• Posted

Yes! Which is why we have to be mindful of people’s experiences ♥️.
  • Posted

Hi Nicole, I think it is a very personal decision in deciding if you have your ovaries removed or not but, obviously you will way up if they are healthy or are they going to be troublesome for you in the future which I am sure your ob will help you with that also you do have to consider family history. , sorry iam not much leap to you as only you can decide really I myself am having everything removed but iam already on my menopause my consultant made that decision for me anyway , but hope you go on OK and recover quickly whatever you decide keep me posted .xxx
  • Posted

I had endo, but found I had lost my ovaries when I woke up, they said they didn't look good, hormone replacement with very slow step down of strength of tablets over the next 18 months or so, and I was finally past the hot flushes, intense sweating, feel fine now 10 year on.  No more grinding pain in the pelvis every month.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.