Hysterectomy “belly flap”

Posted , 7 users are following.

Had an abdominal hysterectomy two weeks ago tomorrow. I am wondering if anyone knows how long the belly flap lasts? Does it ever go away? I have heard stories of people who eat well and exercise and still have the flap 6 months after.  

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes that belly flap !!! 

Mine is reducing and I am 7wks in and have been told by my consultant that i am still swollen from the surgery and it will go with exercise and time.....although if I am left with a little flap it’s better then enduring those heavy periods. So small price to pay I suppose. 

• Posted

This is a good convo to start. I am worried about it as well. I am at almost 3 weeks post surgery and it has gone down a bit. 😁But still there. Not bouncing when i walk anymore at least. DR. Said it will go away at about 6 wks.

• Posted

Hi Roma.

I’m so happy that you’re doing well.

Your concern is also a question that I’ve been having. My flap is so prominent. 

Of course, being on bedrest doesn’t help😂😂😂.  I have my 3rd. follow up tomorrow afternoon. I’m entering my 6th post op week. 

Take care. 🤗

• Posted

Following this as well, I'll be 3 weeks post op on Mon and have a pretty big belly flap still.... Was wondering about compression wear or support underwear? Just don't want to irritate my incision....

• Posted

I tried to wear a shaping panty but it did irritate my incision. Honestly the best thing I bought was the poise undergarments as some had recommended. They are soft on my incision and undetectible under my clothes. I did try the abdominal band and it did take alot of pressure off of my lower back. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.