Hysterectomy Booked :-(

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi, I'm looking for advice, people's experience and a bit of an understanding on what to expect... total hysterectomy due on the 11th November, removal by abdomin. Have adenomyosis, endometriosis, polycystic ovaries, pelvic pain :-( been on the menopause induced injection for 4 months and have been taking a low dies of HRT for the same amount of time 2.5 livial. Any advise would be greatly appreciated :-) for example will I have staples in my stomach? Do they hurt when taken out, does the indwelling catheter hurt when removed? What does the pain feel like when you come round, how soon should you take a walk and for how long? Did anyone have injections to thin blood what are they like? Can you tell I'm anxious :-)

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Karen,

I didn't have staples. When I woke up I was to druged to feel pain.

They took the catheter out the next morning and had me get up soon after. That was quick and felt weird coming out but didn't hurt. It was actually a relief.

The first time getting up is the hardest. They will help you. Don't go it alone. Use you arm and leg muscles. Walk slow and try to stand straight. You will do fine and it will feel great to be moving and on your way to recovery.

I had blood thinner injection both days. They didn't hurt me.

• Posted

hello i had my total abdominal hysterectomy in march this year.i think everyones experience is different /  i had the op which went smoothly. i spent 5 days in hospital. it didnt hurt me when the catheter was removed,it was very quick and painless. i didnt feel like eating the second day but after that my appetite returned a little. the fourth day a physio therapist came and told me about excersises to do as in pelvic floor excersises. easy peasy just got to remember to do them ha. i had some stitches staples taken out on the 4th day again no problems i think it depends on who takes them out . i think they left a couple in / i was allowed home on the fifth day only because i promoised the consultant that i would not lift anything heavier than a half glass of water!! i kid you not it is most important that you do as they say. i came home and had 2 days in bed  getting in and out was a bit difficult but i bought a bed rest off ebay well worth getting, i found it better with it up quite high with 2 pillows behind it and i slept like that for a week it did make it easier getting in and out of bed. i would say for the first few days you could do with help especially washing yourself from the waist down as it is not advisable to bend too much . i found i could shower then my partner helped dry me . you feel a bit daft but id rather have the help than do damage to the wound/  i had a nurse that came in a couple of times a week for 2 weeks she changed the dressings and took the last of the stitches out/, i did try to excersise by just walking round the garde or should i say hobblled round the garden every day just for 5 mins at first and then gradually do a bit more listen to your body/   before you go in hospital i would advise that you try and get as much as you can with pots and saucepans ect up to the worktop as you do not want to be bending at first and it is so much earies if it is all on the top within your reach. it looks a mess but who cares, i found it a big help doing that/also buy yourself a little grabber online that is also a great help not just for picking bits up but also towels in the bathroom and a great help in kitchen if you drop anything. i was off work for 3 months and did as i was told which is hard as a bit further on recovery you feel as if you can do things but you musnt do too much it is bending and stretching you have to watch.   on saying all that it wasnt half as bad as i feared it would be and i am glad i did it .please dont worry  you will be fine. oh and nearly forgot you get lots of wind afterwards so drink loads of water it all helps and lactaluse if you get constipated the hospital should give you all that. hope it all goes well for you best of luck
    • Posted

I found when I had mine last year in Nov I was in bed for a week also buy a bath stool online as I found It was painful to stand for too long my husband used to help me with the shower while I sat on the stool in the bath

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.