Hysterectomy due to pre-cancerous cells found in polyp

Posted , 4 users are following.

I went to my GP with post menopausal bleeding - I am 54 - and this was on the Wednesday, I got my Consultant appt on the Monday where i had an internal scan and biopsy which found a polyp in my womb which had pre-cancerous cells.  I was offered a hysterectomy which of course I have to have and is now booked in for the 7th July.  I was also called that evening for an MRI scan as they had a cancellation.  Does anyone know if it is normal to have an MRI scan prior to a hysterectomy as I am panicing even more now waiting for the results.  All this has come right out of the blue for me.  I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks and I am just constantly overthinking and guessing what they will find.  Can anyone advise me please?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi. The exact se thing happened to my mum this year. She is 70 and had very slight bleed when investigated they said was polyp but did biopsy and found cancer and was given a date for hysterectomy but beforehand she had mri and xray. This is just to check there's nothing else going on that they need to look at during op. Mum was told if you are going to get it that's best place as can be removed. She has now had op (2 weeks before I had mine) and histology results are it was contained and no radiotherapy required. Everything you have described sounds the same and routine. I wish you all the best and try not to worry, , easier said than done I know. Take care
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply and reassurance.  You take care too and I hope your Mum is recovering well,
  • Posted

Hi there, yes it's perfectly normal to be sent for an MRI scan, I had the same diagnosis as you last September and was told that the next step was a scan, I didn't have it done as I can't bear the thought of being inside a metal tube I'm so claustrophobic, I also suffer with panic attacks so appreciate how you must be feeling, I had my hysterectomy done on December 15 no more cancer cells were found, I do have to see consultant every 6 months for the next 3 years though for a check up, I haven't had radiotherapy or chemo.

Good luck.

Phoebe

• Posted

I was the same as you just before Christmas they found pre cancerous cells in a polo which they did a hysterectomy the end of February which turned out it was cancer but they got it all and all I need is to see the consultant every four months for two years no chemo or radiotherapy needed I'm 52 in December as the others said try not to worry I know it's hard not to make notes of any questions you want to ask your consultant 
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. I was ok till again till i had to have the mri last tuesday and now im panicking about getting the results of that. Im glad your ok xx
  • Posted

I was worried after being discharged consultant said he'd see me in six weeks and I got a call three weeks after discharge saying the consultant wanted to see me my husband and I thought it was bad news but it wasn't so try to stay possative 
  • Posted

Could you please tell me what type of hysterectomy you had? Open or orthascopic? And what your surgeon took out? Just the uterus? Or cervix and fallopian tubes?  Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.