Hysterectomy. Endometriosis

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello im 42. I had my first surgery of ovarian cyst & fibroid almost 16 years ago then dr removed my 1 ovary & diagnosed endometriosis. After suffering many years of pain i undergo life threatening critical condition. A panel of doctors did my hysterectomy. They removed my uterus accept my right ovary. 5 days ago I had pain again went to dr he did ultrasound & diagnosed ovarian cyst. I don't know why doctors left 1 Overy at that time of previous surgery. Although I'm diagnosed case of endometriosis. It's a nightmare to think of another surgery again. Is anybody suffer this kind of medical condition. If yes then kindly share your experience with me.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I have had a similar experience in having a ovary with cyst removed at an earlier time - but given your history I can't understand why they left the other ovary in at your hysterectomy??? My gynae said straight away that leaving my remaining ovary in whilst doing my hysterectomy could lead to pain from a cyst at a later date. I was happy they removed it at the same time - as it did have cysts on it! Did you have a full abdominal hystetectomy or a laproscopic surgery? That could be why - just a thought! I had a full abdominal hysterectomy.

Hope someone here might be able to help you more!

Good luck!!!!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I had full abdominal hysterectomy 2 time . But i don't know why they left 1 ovary. I was surprised to know that because im endometriotic.

• Posted

They must have had a reason to leave it there - it can be pretty awful as you go into free fall menopause post-op! Hopefully they will be able to remove this laproscopically - but it seems bad to have a hysterectomy to find you have to go under the knife again - all the recovery time you need too! How long ago was your hysterectomy?
    • Posted

I'm not having periods since 2.5 years. Facing hot fleshes & weight gain as well.

• Posted

I was thinking you had just had your hysterectomy. I does sound as if your remaining ovary is stopping working anyhow.ovarian cysts are unbelievely painful - so I can imagine the discomfort! They maybe thought that the endometriosis was contained within the tissues they removed at hysterectomy and did not want to put you into menopause straight away. Thats the only thing I can think of that would stop them removing that ovary.
    • Posted

They put me on menopause straight away when they did my hysterectomy.

Apart from surgery what is the other option?

• Posted

I'm not sure there would be another option. You need to discuss with your consultant. I do think if it is just an ovary removal - it should be a smaller incision - is it the right or left ovary left? Only ask - as sometimes they remove your appendix with the right hand side ovary. When I had 1 ovary removed - the other failed and I went through menopause at 29. Been on HRT ever since - had to do 6weeks without for operation - but now back on it -thank goodness!

• Posted

My left ovary removed 16 years ago. Then 2 & half years ago i had severe abdominal pain and fever, went to hospital they admitted me there but they failed to find out the main cause of infection in my abdomen. When i went into critical condition they decide to open my abdomen. When they opened it they found lots of puss leaked from uterus. My intestines found sticked with uterus, at that time they took out my collapsed uterus & washed my abdomen. That was v crucial time me & my family faced.

• Posted

What a nightmare! You'll have a few battle scars - just like me! Whatever is done as long as you get rid of your pain - that is the main thing. They must have thought at the time that leaving the ovary in was the best thing for you. Once you have had surgery you can ask to be put on HRT if you feel like you need it - I thought I would manage - but I couldn't. Listen to your body - and do what is right for you. As for surgery - yes it's scarey and it takes time to recover - but if it makes your life better - then it is worth it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.